Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Hit 193 very quick

Bartybart
Bartybart Posts: 0
I have cooked Boston butts on the egg at least a dozen times. Temp at 250, butt around 9 lbs. Typical cook time is 17 hours to hit 193. Last night butt went on at 8:30. It hit 193 at 4am? Moved probe to several different positions to confirm it was not touching bone. Any thoughts?

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Did you have a controller on the temp? Any chance it fluctuated?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    There could be a lot of fat in this particular Butt.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That butt just trolled you. Probably turbo'ed itself somehow. Like JR said, it could have been fattier than others. Don't shoot him though, he's just the messenger.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

The only think I can think of is to quote Al Wood during his senior year at UNC:

"Sometimes it just bees that way"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• stuckman
    stuckman Posts: 11
    I hear a lot about over night cooks for Boston Butts on this forum.  However, I've tried to take it really slow and almost always end up with a 1 hour per pound cook.  I'm usually between 225 and 250.  Maybe my temp prob on the BGE is off.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I did 8 eight pounders last weekend (four on each large) and they went 16 hours at 250* dome to get to 195.  @stuckman  I would check the calibration of your thermometer as mine have always taken 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound like clock work.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Could the temp have spiked overnight? That has happened to me in the past during overnight cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stuckman
    stuckman Posts: 11
    Bowhunr - wow.  You fit four eight pounders on a BGE?  What size BGE?  Thanks.

• texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    I can cook 4 eight pounders on my XL, it fits 3 10+ pound butts easy, none touching each other. Stand them straight up, tall like.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

not every butt is the same.

some are slow, some are fast.   thats why we cook to temp not time.

Cookin in Texas
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Every chunk of meat is different.  I have had butts that are basically the same weight cook 2-3 hours faster and some have gone longer.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!