Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boston Butt Hit 193 very quick

BartybartBartybart Posts: 0
I have cooked Boston butts on the egg at least a dozen times. Temp at 250, butt around 9 lbs. Typical cook time is 17 hours to hit 193. Last night butt went on at 8:30. It hit 193 at 4am? Moved probe to several different positions to confirm it was not touching bone. Any thoughts?
·

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Did you have a controller on the temp? Any chance it fluctuated?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,628
    There could be a lot of fat in this particular Butt.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    That butt just trolled you. Probably turbo'ed itself somehow. Like JR said, it could have been fattier than others. Don't shoot him though, he's just the messenger.
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,527

The only think I can think of is to quote Al Wood during his senior year at UNC:

"Sometimes it just bees that way"

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • stuckmanstuckman Posts: 11
    I hear a lot about over night cooks for Boston Butts on this forum.  However, I've tried to take it really slow and almost always end up with a 1 hour per pound cook.  I'm usually between 225 and 250.  Maybe my temp prob on the BGE is off.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,456
    I did 8 eight pounders last weekend (four on each large) and they went 16 hours at 250* dome to get to 195.  @stuckman  I would check the calibration of your thermometer as mine have always taken 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound like clock work.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,978
    Could the temp have spiked overnight? That has happened to me in the past during overnight cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • stuckmanstuckman Posts: 11
    Bowhunr - wow.  You fit four eight pounders on a BGE?  What size BGE?  Thanks.

·
  • texbaggertexbagger Posts: 90
    I can cook 4 eight pounders on my XL, it fits 3 10+ pound butts easy, none touching each other. Stand them straight up, tall like.
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

not every butt is the same.

some are slow, some are fast.   thats why we cook to temp not time.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Every chunk of meat is different.  I have had butts that are basically the same weight cook 2-3 hours faster and some have gone longer.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·