Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Foiled Plate Setter? I might stop...

Greetings friends!

I just cooked another two-brisket run with my plate setter, and it's slowly turning black, despite my foiling and refoilings... 

I've seen pictures of "well seasoned" plate setters - do you guys think it burns the drippings or that there are any bad side effects to just letting the thing ride?

I go through a lot of heavy duty foil - if this is needless, then I'm on board..

8-Damien

Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·

Comments

• ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209

save the foil.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    Mine goes camando. It gets dirty, then on a pizza or steak it gets clean

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,716

Mine goes camando. It gets dirty, then on a pizza or steak it gets clean

Yep. Same here.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,502
    Did you win your contest?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I don't "Wrap" my platesetter, but i put a single piece of thin foil across the platesetter, then turn the sides up slightly.  The foil catches the drippings and they cook away.  At the end of the cook, i remove the grid, and with the tongs, i wad up the foil with grease and toss it!
    ·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,151
    Hi54putty said:
    Did you win your contest?
    Runner up!  I posted in the original thread.  :)  Thanks!
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,896
    I don't "Wrap" my platesetter, but i put a single piece of thin foil across the platesetter, then turn the sides up slightly.  The foil catches the drippings and they cook away.  At the end of the cook, i remove the grid, and with the tongs, i wad up the foil with grease and toss it!
    This is what I usually do too.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • smokinsoonersmokinsooner Posts: 161

+2

Or I just do a nuclear burn with the PS inverted, legs down... it all burns off. 

BOOMER!
    ·