Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spatchcock - I'm hooked

I've had my LBGE for 1 week. Cooked a pork loin, some ribeyes, and last night some chicken thighs.  Decided tonight I would try my hand at a spatchcock chicken.  Put the bird, layed out flat, in the fridge last night to let the skin dry out.  About 3 hours before cooking I put some olive oil and seasoning on the bird and back into the fridge.

Heated the Egg up to 375 with a raised direct setup and put the bird on.   I was amazed at how stable the temp remained.  Shot right back up to 375 and held there.  After 30 minutes I slid a pan of sliced potatoes under the bird and let it go another 30 minutes. Checked the temp in the breast and it was at 162 so I pulled it.

The skin was crispy, the breast meat so juicy and the potatoes were great.  I'm hooked.  Will definitely be my go to whole bird method.

Thanks for all of the tips and info here.  Really helped a ton.

Even my dog Cedar approved.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks great, I have not done one with a drip pan under only raised grid direct at 400.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

Only reason I used the drip pan was to cook the potatoes.  Otherwise I would have left it direct the whole time.  Such an easy cook and quick for a whole bird.

• JRWhitee
    How were the taters with the drippings?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So you really get crispy skin???? I'e never gotten crispy skin on chicken yet...but i won't have my egg for a few weeks.Maybe the gasser just can't yeld cripy skin?
    Looks very tasty!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • CharlieTN
    JRWhitee said:
    How were the taters with the drippings?
    They were good.  By adding them at the halfway mark they weren't overly greasy or anything, just had a bit of the chicken flavor added to them.  I had dusted them with a bit of parmessan and garlic salt.  Very good.  Next time I'll add some other veggies too.
  • JRWhitee
    Nice job, I am trying the potatoes next time.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks really good!! And I am guessing your pup was liking the smell too.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CharlieTN
    So you really get crispy skin???? I'e never gotten crispy skin on chicken yet...but i won't have my egg for a few weeks.Maybe the gasser just can't yeld cripy skin?
    Looks very tasty!!!!

On Naked Whiz's site he said they had good luck getting crispy skin by laying the bird out, uncovered in the fridge for 24-48 hours.  This seemed to work for me.  The skin was wonderful.

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    CharlieTN said:
    Looks very tasty!!!!

On Naked Whiz's site he said they had good luck getting crispy skin by laying the bird out, uncovered in the fridge for 24-48 hours.  This seemed to work for me.  The skin was wonderful.

I sometimes get lucky and can get a bird at a butcher that's been in the chilled display case.  Essentially, they do the drying for you.  Another way to help is to poke holes in the skin with toothpicks.  it allows the fat to render out.  I also put garlic cloves between to elevate the skin.  it helps crisp it up and is excellent spread on bread.

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Nice looking bird! Good idea with the potatoes too. Might need to give them a try