Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Yet another brisket cook...

cazzycazzy Posts: 6,909
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to make another brisket, so I picked up a tiny 9lb brisket.  So cute when they're this small!   :P

I seasoned this lil guy with 50/50 Kosher Salt and 16 mesh black pepper...and used oak for smoke. 

At 9 hours...looks so tiny on the large! lol

This brisket has sealed the deal, i'm no longer going to cook 225 grid...going to go 260 on all my briskets from here on out.  The flat was trailing the finished point by about 10 degrees and was tough.  So, I decided to separate the point and I wrapped the flat and threw it back on till it was fork tender.  The only thing I can think is that the temp was too low...the point took 17 hours and the flat took 18 hours.  So darn odd, around the same temp i've done all but one of my briskets and I usually buy 13-15lb packers.  The brisket was very floppy and had a nice thick flat which is also no different than how I select all my packers.

Before I pulled the flat and threw it back on!

None the less, the flavor was spot on and was a pretty good lil brisket!  :)

Served w/ beans and esquites.

Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
·

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    I feel a Father's Day brisket at my house!!

Salt pepper KISS!

Looks awesome bud!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,715
    280 grid has been my sweet spot. Looks like you found yours. I've got to look for small packers. All I ever fine is 10# plus.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    Oh yea, I get my corse ground pepper from Rudy's. cheap, corse and good. What are you using?
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,909
    Kirkland ground...good stuff. Same size as the kosher salt so I love it!
    ·
  • Oh yea, I get my corse ground pepper from Rudy's. cheap, corse and good. What are you using?

Rudy's sells pepper?

·
  • chris123stockchris123stock Posts: 664
    Looks awsome, yes thats a great cook. =D>
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Damn that looks good

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,201
    Looks awesome! I am sticking with the simple salt, pepper, and onion powder for rub and oak, maybe some mesquite or hickory as well, for smoke...

Enjoy!!!
    ·
    hapster said:

Looks awesome! I am sticking with the simple salt, pepper, and onion powder for rub and oak, maybe some mesquite or hickory as well, for smoke...

Enjoy!!!

Yeah, I likely will go back and forth between S&P and Grand Champion. It will just depend what type of mood I'm in.

I don't see myself switching from oak though. I used a combination of oak chips and oak chunks this cook and I had the perfect amount of smoke and the best smoke ring I've ever gotten. The chunks were Western Oak "Cooking" Chunks which I grabbed by mistake thinking they were smoking chunks. Is there a difference? No clue, but I loved the results! :D
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,423
    Looks good Cazzy. Jut threw one on myself. Late start so going about 300 dome on this one. About 250 grate temp right now.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Yep. Rudy's sells salt, pepper and their own rub. It's pretty good. I won 3rd place ribs using it.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,260
    Looks great. My two flats have been fails. Ready to try another.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 626
    Looks fantastic!
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,518
    Great pics and an even better brisket....one of the nicest i've seen to date!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,247
    So deliciously adorable!
    ·
    edited May 2013

Great pics and an even better brisket....one of the nicest i've seen to date!!!!

While I appreciate the compliment, I wouldn't go that far...probably just the camera. :P

Really though, lots of folks have posted some stellar brisket lately:

@griffin @thailandjohn @hapster ,and a guy just hit a home run on his first attempt.

In the end though, @MrCookingNurse just showcased how to throwdown a brisket in any element and just took the Brisket King Crown from @travisstrick & cen-tex! :D
    ·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    The sliced brisket looks awesome.....
    ·
    henapple said:

Looks great. My two flats have been fails. Ready to try another.

I haven't cooked a flat...I hear they're hard to cook though. Have you tried @travisstrick 's old method?
    ·
  • Yep. Rudy's sells salt, pepper and their own rub. It's pretty good. I won 3rd place ribs using it.

I have some of the rub and I like it. I think It's loaded with MSG so what could be bad about that? Didn't know they sold pepper though. I'll have to grab some.

·
    Yep. Rudy's sells salt, pepper and their own rub. It's pretty good. I won 3rd place ribs using it.
    I have some of the rub and I like it. I think It's loaded with MSG so what could be bad about that? Didn't know they sold pepper though. I'll have to grab some.
    Its super corse. Perfect for ribs and brisket. Cheap too. 
    ·
    Man I LOVE BBQ leftovers!!   :D

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697

This is so not how I should start my Monday morning, drooling over pictures of brisket. Looks amazing.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    edited May 2013
    Griffin said:

This is so not how I should start my Monday morning, drooling over pictures of brisket. Looks amazing.

Don't look at my rib thread then.,.don't do it griff! :P
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Crap....now I'm gonna go look and I'll probably be madder/hungrier.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    Granzin's in New Braunfels has good coarse pepper, too. And, of course, 5 coolers full of goodness. Its super corse. Perfect for ribs and brisket. Cheap too. 

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·