Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs Pics and Technique

Options
We were in the mood for some baby back ribs today. Thought I'd share some pics and my technique.

First, I rubbed the ribs down with a 50/50 mix of Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I used cheap HEB brand yellow mustard as a binder.

Got my fire stable at 225 grid, added some hickory and cherry, and threw the ribs on. I used an adjustable rig set up as follows:
  • Level 1.5: Oval stone, covered in foil
  • Level 3: Ribs on oval grid
  • Level 4.5: Empty
  • Rig Extender: Moink Balls on sliding D grid

Pulled the Moink balls after about 90 minutes.

Ran the ribs for a total of 5 hours at 225. Then I coated them with an 60/40 combination of Blues Hog and Sweet Baby Ray's.

I kicked the temperature up to about 275, and left the glazed ribs on for about 20 minutes or so. Pulled them, and let them rest for about 10 minutes.

End result was fantastic. Tender and tasty.

Just a few minutes after they hit the table, my family had devoured both racks down to the bones.

Have I mentioned that I love my Big Green Egg?
Large Big Green Egg w/ AR & Spider
Smokin' butts and taking names.

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Damn man that looks awesome,how do you like the rig and ext I have the same set-up in the mail!!!

Sweet baby rays hey I gotta get some of that stuff it looks sweet!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Oh what exactly is a moink balls...looks like ground beef wrapped in bacon??
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cook, looks great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MisterM
    MisterM Posts: 17
    Options
    Damn man that looks awesome,how do you like the rig and ext I have the same set-up in the mail!!!

Sweet baby rays hey I gotta get some of that stuff it looks sweet!!

I love my adjustable rig and extender. Highly recommended. Moink balls are just cheap prefrozen meatballs, wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with rub. Add some sauce during the last couple minutes. I'm a big fan of both Blues Hog and Sweet Baby Rays. The Blues Hog sauce gives the ribs a nice shiny appearance and a tangy sweet flavor. The sweetness of the Blues Hog can be a bit much, which is why I like to mix it with Sweet Baby Ray's.
    Large Big Green Egg w/ AR & Spider
    Smokin' butts and taking names.