Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom vent flashback - great way to remove leg hair

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Pretty simple cook tonight - boneless chicken thighs (one of my new favorites) and breasts.  Sprinkled with McCormick Applewood Rub, with a chunk of apple wood for slight smoke.  Didn't notice the Daisy Wheel had closed almost completely when I flipped them  A few minutes later I saw it, and opened it back up.  Heard a loud "WHOOSH" as flames shot out of the bottom vent, singing all the hair on my leg.  Lesson learned. Chicken came out nicely done.  

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Well you won't do that again without wearing jeans will you!

Guess I'm lucky, my knees are so knobby, I always long pants. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Welcome to the BGE Hair Removal Club from a member of the club.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @Tjcoley looks great and my XL got me once scared the @#%&*@$ out of me  =))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    almost hit the dog once, theres a warning noise, a rumble that happens
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I was sitting by the egg this AM drinking coffee and noticed mine was huffing and puffing a bit from the bottom vent.  Looked it was doing a french exhale and then would suck it back in and then puff some out...I figured if I opened it then and there I'd get to experience my first backdraft, so I skipped it...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Steven told me this is the exact same way he lost his once glorious mustache. I didn't get it but now I do.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    ****!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ****!

You're welcome. Sorry bro.............or whatever the opposite of sorry is. :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I was sitting by the egg this AM drinking coffee and noticed mine was huffing and puffing a bit from the bottom vent.  Looked it was doing a french exhale and then would suck it back in and then puff some out...I figured if I opened it then and there I'd get to experience my first backdraft, so I skipped it...

Good call......I mean if you are in to arm hair and eybrows. Some people aren't. I've seen that same thing a bunch. Usually right before the temps go nuclear.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Gotta live blue flames out the top and bottom vent. For some reason I get that with Royal Oak. Stuff we get here smells like lighter fluid and lump goes crazy. Def lost arm hair but not leg hair. Haha. Pics?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lucky it was your legs. What if you were a short? ... Could've been worse.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    henapple said:

=))

XLBGE 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    henapple said:
    like Jerry  lee lewis sung great balls of fire  =))  maybe he owned a egg 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    There was a cook at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest yesterday doing bananas foster. There was a column of fire 6 feet tall and when he closed the lid on this, a 5 foot stream of fire would shoot out the bottom vent. Incredible!

I do feel sorry for the guy that got that demo unit. Hopefully the dealer threw in a gasket.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.