Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bottom vent flashback - great way to remove leg hair

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
Pretty simple cook tonight - boneless chicken thighs (one of my new favorites) and breasts.  Sprinkled with McCormick Applewood Rub, with a chunk of apple wood for slight smoke.  Didn't notice the Daisy Wheel had closed almost completely when I flipped them  A few minutes later I saw it, and opened it back up.  Heard a loud "WHOOSH" as flames shot out of the bottom vent, singing all the hair on my leg.  Lesson learned. Chicken came out nicely done.  

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    Well you won't do that again without wearing jeans will you!

Guess I'm lucky, my knees are so knobby, I always long pants. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    Welcome to the BGE Hair Removal Club from a member of the club.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    @Tjcoley looks great and my XL got me once scared the @#%&;*@$ out of me  =))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    almost hit the dog once, theres a warning noise, a rumble that happens
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 702
    I was sitting by the egg this AM drinking coffee and noticed mine was huffing and puffing a bit from the bottom vent.  Looked it was doing a french exhale and then would suck it back in and then puff some out...I figured if I opened it then and there I'd get to experience my first backdraft, so I skipped it...
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
    ·
  • Steven told me this is the exact same way he lost his once glorious mustache. I didn't get it but now I do.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    ****!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • ****!

You're welcome. Sorry bro.............or whatever the opposite of sorry is. :)

·
  • I was sitting by the egg this AM drinking coffee and noticed mine was huffing and puffing a bit from the bottom vent.  Looked it was doing a french exhale and then would suck it back in and then puff some out...I figured if I opened it then and there I'd get to experience my first backdraft, so I skipped it...

Good call......I mean if you are in to arm hair and eybrows. Some people aren't. I've seen that same thing a bunch. Usually right before the temps go nuclear.

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,454
    Gotta live blue flames out the top and bottom vent. For some reason I get that with Royal Oak. Stuff we get here smells like lighter fluid and lump goes crazy. Def lost arm hair but not leg hair. Haha. Pics?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    Lucky it was your legs. What if you were a short? ... Could've been worse.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,305
    henapple said:

=))

XLBGE 
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    henapple said:
    like Jerry  lee lewis sung great balls of fire  =))  maybe he owned a egg 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    There was a cook at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest yesterday doing bananas foster. There was a column of fire 6 feet tall and when he closed the lid on this, a 5 foot stream of fire would shoot out the bottom vent. Incredible!

I do feel sorry for the guy that got that demo unit. Hopefully the dealer threw in a gasket.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·