Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two questions.....

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put my first butt on last night....Butt weighed a little over 6 pounds and I had it on indirect, 230 degrees and started the cook around 9:00 PM. This morning, at 8:00 AM, the internal is right at 200 degrees.....problem is, I wasn't planning to eat until 4:00 PM today (when the in-laws show up). Will it be safe to foil/towel/cooler the whole butt until 3 or so this afternoon, or did I mess it up enough where I'll have to refridgerate and reheat the meat?[p]Second quesion....in the 3-1-1 method for ribs....is it indirect-indirect-direct for cooking?[p]Thanks in advance

Comments

• AU Parker,[p]I'm not sure about the butt, and as far as the ribs go, I've been doing mine indirect, indirect, indirect and they have been turning out great.[p]KySmoker
  • ttbq
    ttbq Posts: 39
    AU Parker,
    The Naked Whiz had a posting on this a couple of days ago re: how long you can keep the meat safe (i.e. over 140) and it was like 5 hours so you may want to check his website, you may be close. My butt(s) finished early too so they're in the cooler as we speak.[p]Agree with indirect/indirect(foil)/direct on the ribs.[p]Good luck on your cook![p]Ted

• AU Parker,[p]Sorry but I another that can't answer on the butt. Can you just pull it now and warm it up. Not sure if the whole butt drops below a certain temp if it becomes dangerous to eat???????[p]Regarding the ribs, the last part is an hour direct BUT you have to raise your grid or the sauce (and ribs) will burn in a couple of minutes. And keep the temp down to 250, again so you don't burn them. Belive me, I learned the hard way on this one.[p]Howard

• AU Parker,
    I think you will be just fine keeping the butt wrapped in the cooler. However. if you need to refrig and reheat don't worry. Some on the forum say tht is the best way to go in the first place. Some suggest reheating in coca cola.
    good luck,
    Dave

• AU Parker,
    Here is a link to my Ceramic FAQ entry on the matter. I held a single butt for 5 hours before it dropped below 140. I held it about 8 hours and it was down to about 125 degrees. I ate the butt and survived. However, going below 140 for any length of time is a risk that depends on how the meat was handled before you cooked it. I hope this gives you a guideline.
    TNW

[ul][li]Holding Meat In A Cooler [/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • AU Parker,
    You never stated what the dome temp was. If the temp remained at 230° all night, I doubt it would be done that fast. Now, if the dome temp is high, it will go up to 200°, but the meat may not be as tender as you are expecting becasue it hasn't had enough time to render out the connective tissues. If the temp is high, the effect is like cooking a steak on a hot grill.... it's done fast.[p]I have seen the internal temp high (not 200) because the dome temp has spiked, and when I get the dome temp down where it belongs, the meat temp drops back where it belongs, and continues it's cooking.[p]Did you try poking a fork in it? The meat will be "falling apart" when it's done, especially at 200°.[p]I'd probably drop the dome temp, and see what the meat does.[p]Mike in MN

• AU Parker,[p]Wow something I feel comfortable answering for once. Before being promoted I was a Quality Assurance manager at a food plant so I at least half way know what I am talking about. Wrap the meat (at least 3 times around with foil , then wrap in a towel and place in a warm cooler, once in the cooler add another towel to take up the extra space.
    With it being cooked the water activity level has dropped considerably in the meat to it will stay safe to eat for a considerable amount of time. 135 degrees is a pretty safe temperature and dare I say 130 although that is getting pretty close to being "iffy". You should be able to hold the meat in the cooler for around 5 to 6 hours easily and not have any problems, if you have a remote themometer you might stick it in the meat while it is in the cooler to moniter the temp.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    in reply to the rib question, I do the 3 1 1 method at about 250, all three stages indirect. I have read (and is mentioned in some of the replies) that you can do the last stage direct but are risking charing. Neither my wife nor I particularily care for that so it is not an issue. I am also going to try Dr. BBQ's methods from his book. So far anything he recommends has come out great.
    billyg