Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lookie what centex got!

@girl_on_grill outdid herself today. Our favorite kitchen store is relocating and were having a sale to thin out inventory. We found this little diddy tucked a way in a shelf: 10" Ken Onion Shun Chet's knife! Score! Saved $60 and made centex a very happy boy.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    "Better to be lucky than good" any day of the week-congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That is just beautiful.  I'm not sure if you are supposed to cut food with that or fight off ninjas.  Here is a guide for your practice, Cen-Tex-san.
    That is awesome. I do have this ninja neighbor who has been pissing me off lately. his dog craps in my yard and his kids scream at 5:30 am on Saturday mornings. Ninjas are just like us really. Think I'll pay him a visit :))

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Man, I don't know if I would use it or put it on the mantle!

Nice score bro!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Man, I don't know if I would use it or put it on the mantle! Nice score bro!

I'm pretty fired up about it.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    That is a sweet score.
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

Nice score bro!

Have you used one before? What do you think you'll use it for?
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

@ the cen-tex-smoker

if your tomatoes start having a bad taste this summer....the pooch has to go!!!  not cool to crap in a man's garden!!!!!  maybe you can be like Ron White and tell your neighbors to put the dog on the phone - you want to talk to him...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Very nice. 60 bucks saved? Dont get better than that.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    That is one sexy knife cent-tex! Good score!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I haven't used one until today. I plan on using it for everything. So far I've cut pizza, chicken, quesadillas, all kinds of veg for my chicken brine, rough cut pepercorns like the weren't even there. This thing is awesome. Dangerously sharp right out of the box. I love it. Puts my hinkels to shame.
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

Nice score bro!

I haven't used one until today. I plan on using it for everything. So far I've cut pizza, chicken, quesadillas, all kinds of veg for my chicken brine, rough cut pepercorns like the weren't even there. This thing is awesome. Dangerously sharp right out of the box. I love it. Puts my hinkels to shame.

That's awesome! Now I want to buy one! Lol Do you think you'll use it for carving your brisket too?
  • cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

That's awesome! Now I want to buy one! Lol Do you think you'll use it for carving your brisket too?

I may but I normally use a serrated edge for that. This this is laser sharp though so it would probably do fine. janell just cleaned and skinned a whole chicken in about 2 minutes with it :). is it weird that makes me feel frisky? :))
  • cazzy
    Wow, just saw a YouTube video for your new baby...that is one bad ass knife man!!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I don't know much about knives and even I know that's a nice score. Congrats!
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy said:
    Wow, just saw a YouTube video for your new baby...that is one bad ass knife man!!

It's the best I've ever owned, I know that.
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

Nice score bro!

I may but I normally use a serrated edge for that. This this is laser sharp though so it would probably do fine. janell just cleaned and skinned a whole chicken in about 2 minutes with it :). is it weird that makes me feel frisky? :))

Not at all, a woman rocking a bad ass knife is pretty pimp. Shoot, my wife making toast gets me frisky...I couldn't imagine if she knew how to use a knife! :P
  • "Shoot, my wife making toast gets me frisky"...................this is why you have 4 kids:))
  • Shun's awesome.  VS-10 steel, incredibly sharp, Damascus-style (that's the grain pattern - they've folded the metal like a classical katana maker would).  The offset handle of the Ken Onion gives you so much control.

I know it's an additional expense, but one of these bad boys is essential to taking care of that fine knife:

Enjoy, man.  I'm super-jealous.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • cazzy

"Shoot, my wife making toast gets me frisky"...................this is why you have 4 kids:))

=))

I only have 3 fool...for now :P
  • cazzy

Shun's awesome.  VS-10 steel, incredibly sharp, Damascus-style (that's the grain pattern - they've folded the metal like a classical katana maker would).  The offset handle of the Ken Onion gives you so much control.

I know it's an additional expense, but one of these bad boys is essential to taking care of that fine knife:

That's one thing I want to learn how to use! I know it's not hard but it's still kind of intimidating...since I've never done it before.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @cazzy-well played and rumor has there are supplements to help :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shun's awesome.  VS-10 steel, incredibly sharp, Damascus-style (that's the grain pattern - they've folded the metal like a classical katana maker would).  The offset handle of the Ken Onion gives you so much control.

Well.....so much for the $60 I saved :)) I have a nice stone that I'm decent with.Not a fancy as the Williams Sonoma stone especially for Shun Knives but will have to do for now.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    A superb knife and saved enough for 2XMakers.....does not get much better, other than watching the one you love use it!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

That is a great looking knife that should serve you perfectly. 

• A superb knife and saved enough for 2XMakers.....does not get much better, other than watching the one you love use it!
    agreed skiddy. She got a potato ricer today and she is down right giddy about it.  :-B

She's a keeper.

• cazzy
    lousubcap said:

@cazzy-well played and rumor has there are supplements to help :)>-

Lol fool!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    agreed skiddy. She got a potato ricer today and she is down right giddy about it.  :-B

She's a keeper.

What kind did you get? My OXO just packed it in, damn thing only lasted about 10 years, maybe it was crushing melon that killed it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • agreed skiddy. She got a potato ricer today and she is down right giddy about it.  :-B

She's a keeper.

What kind did you get? My OXO just packed it in, @#!*% thing only lasted about 10 years, maybe it was crushing melon that killed it. 
    I wasn't paying attn. I was in love with my new knife at this point. it was all like "yeah, yeah, just throw it in the cart. whatever you want".

(actually we went there for the ricer and I squeezed the knife out of the deal).

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sweeeeeeeet blade!

About the dog - so many ways to go about solving that problem.... Package them back up and deliver to the owner's door; put up a sign that your lawn had been treated with chemicals toxic to pets... Treat the lawn anyways and don't put up the sign... I could go on and on.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.