Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starters

I saw where several of you have a looftlighter, and while it may be awesome, I just have a hard time dropping $80 on a lighter. What other starters does everyone use? I don't have a good place to use a chimney to start it, so electric is what I, looking for. I will say though, everything I have for my egg came from suggestions from this forum! And I haven't regretting buying any of those things either!
Opelika, AL

Comments

• SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    I mostly use the BGE (or Rutland) fire starter cubes. I have the BGE branded offset electric starter but don't use it too much with small kids around.
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I can't help an Auburn fan too much but oil and paper towel is cheap and efficient.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    I've been using the cheap weber starter sticks I get a the grocery store (I break them into 4 pieces and use 2 each cook). They work pretty good, but with my new highq grate, I feel like I could light faster with something else.
    Opelika, AL
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Alma mater x2, working on degree #3 from AU. Thanks for the rec though. I may try that.
    Chubbs said:
    I can't help an Auburn fan too much but oil and paper towel is cheap and efficient.

Opelika, AL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Don't soak it. Drizzle it over the paper towel and then roll like a cigar or make a loose ball. Then light. Make teepee over flame with larger lump. Leave lid open for a beer and you are good
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I use oil and paper towel in conjunction with a chimney lighter. Works great every time.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I use the Weber lighter cubes - i purchase a case of them at a time from shoppers choice.com. I use one per cook, two if i am pressed for time to get egg up to temp.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    When I first started using the XL Egg I started with a chimney. I put the chimney right inside the open egg, so I wouldn't worry about not having anywhere to put the chimney, just put it right in the egg. One note, if it really gets going before you dump the lit lump this technique may char your gasket. 

Now I've ditched the chimney and use a rolled up paper towel with olive oil drizzled onto it. Fast, cheap, has never failed me. I roll the towel, tear it into thirds and light in a triangle pattern through the lump. I drizzle the oil on after the rolled PTs are pushed down into the lump and I don't worry if i get a little splash on the lump near the PT. Bottom vent wide open in any lighting scenario.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something that works well for you. 

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I use a Berzomatic weedburner. Current cost is about $40. When I got mine a few years ago, it came w. a tank of MAP gas. Can use propane. Fast, easy, can even be used to burn weeds.

If you want to be really cost conscious, save drier lint, and dribble some oil or candle wax on that.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I cook under a steel roofed porch alongside my workshop/garage.  I wired an cord connected outlet over, but off to the side of my egg.  I use a $9.99 standard electric charcoal lighter.  Takes about twelve  minutes to get a fire about the size of a softball in the middle of the lump bed.  Unplug it and hang it on a 3/8 inch bolt to cool off.  First unit lasted three years, but it failed because i allowed it in the lump too long.  For $9.99 i even have a "backup unit"! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if your using less lump put the napkinin thru the loewer vent, put two in ,its fast. but this is simple and cheap
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    The electric starters tuna is talking about are awesome, super easy and cheap.  I had one my dad gave me that lasted for years for him and I got one year out of it before the element broke in half.

I would recommend that for a cheaper starter that is multi use.

I use a benzo map torch i bought for around 40$ clearance at lowes.  its a lot of fun and super quick.  I am done lighting in under 30 seconds and have a blazing fire quick too.  

You'll be happy with both, electric one I had took about ten min tho, if there is a pyro inside you buy a torch, ittll be worth the money

XLBGE 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You can get an electric heat gun from harbor freight for $15. Much faster than electric starter.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Some time back, I bought one of the mega packs of Rutland cubes, so have plenty to use for now.  I was going to do a hot and fast for some steaks so I cut a cube into two parts and placed it lit on the bare fire grate of the Egg and lowered the chimney starter over the burning cube parts.  The coals were ready in a very reasonable amount of time.  I will try next time to place the cube pieces on the chimney wire grate and see how that works.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Here's my setup -- power drop over the egg to serve the starter or the DigiQ.  Stores in the kayak when not in use.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Homemade fire starters:  Fill the cups of paper egg cartons with dryer lint.  Pour melted candle wax over them.  You can then tear them into individual fire starters and they burn for a LONG time.  We use these for the egg and for campfires :) 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Neat idea sookie ...gonna have to try it for sure...how would just soaking egg carton pieces in a little veg oil work?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).