Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan question

Does placing a drip plan in the egg have any effect on how moist the meat will be depending on placement? I know drip pans usually go underneath the meat to catch the dripping, but some of us fill them with water for more moisture. Can it be placed under the meat, Can it be placed on the same grate next to the meat, Can it be placed on the upper tier of a multi tier rack? Will any of these placements give you the same effect if it was placed directly under the meat

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have not noticed a difference.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not to me. I see no need (IMO).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Only time I use any water pan is for Italian beef. The reason is that you do not want any crust on the meat, so to keep the surface soft and moist, I cook it over a "drip pan" at the felt line. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • So no pan = no crust?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    From what i have heard, the water helps to stabilize the temperature inside the egg???  I can't tell the difference and stop using a pan two years ago.  I now use a single layer of thin foil with the edges turned up to catch the drippings and let them evaporate on the foil and not the platesetter!  Then just throw the foil away.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    only cook ive seen a difference is either catching drippings for gravey, or using it in a bread cook to flash water to steam to build a bread crust. adding water does not make meat moist
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    IMO, I use the pan to catch grease, oils, etc from contacting the coals and creating unpleasant tastes of the food.  I always separate the pan from the coals using indirect ( stone ) plus spacers between the pan and the stone ( or place setter ) to limit the burning of the liquid.. Have tried the water, beer, etc in the pan....not much luck there, evaporates rapidly.  As far as moisture, don't think so, the egg ( with the least amount of opening the top ) has provided great moisture.   I have never used the pan alone because the direct heat negates the desired effect.  Just my experiences.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)