Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket pics

Because it's Thursday, and why not?

Here's the sliced flat, the burnt ends, and a little un-burnt-ended point (because I like the pastrami-ish texture of it):

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Here's my wife's shells n' cheese:

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Looks good. 
    Question: how did you make the Burnt Ends? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Looks good. Love me some burn ends
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • And here's the whole spread (not pictured: homemade BBQ sauces):

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

I will be preping a brisket this morning for a Friday cook, your burnt ends look great.

BTW: How about that pasta recipe??

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Now that's some eatin!  Brisket looks real good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• looks really good. Lots of good brisket dudes on here now. Love it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks incredible.  Great smoke ring on that flat.  Nice work!  =D>

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    And here's the whole spread (not pictured: homemade BBQ sauces):

Oh hell yeah, nice job. Care to share that shells recipe? My family would chomp on that.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Wow just amazing cooks!!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Thanks for all the compliments!  I credit my results to all the great advice on this board.

@tazcrash:  Sorry to get back so late - been a busy day.  For the burnt ends, I separated the point from the flat after the overnight (FTC'ing the flat, of course), chopped up the point and placed it in a foiled round cake pan.  I dusted Cow Lick over the top, and popped it back in the Egg (without changing the temp from the initial cook) for an hour.  I then turned all the chunks of meat and dusted the opposite side with Cow Lick, and popped it back in for another hour.  Turned again, dusted, 30 minutes.  Tossed in homemade Texas-style mop sauce, 30 minutes, took off the Egg, and covered until dinnertime.

@Plano_JJ and @Charlie tuna:  shells recipe coming in a second.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Cool thanks. 

Amazing how that piece of meat can survive and be delicious for cooking 3 hours more than done!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • For the shells:  

1 pkg shells (we used spinach/tomato shells from Whole Paycheck, but anything will work)
    2 T flour
    2 T butter
    1/2 pint whole milk
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 1/2 cup smoked gouda (or another cheese you like)
    1 cup habanero jack (or another cheese you like)
    1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 T herbs d'Provence
    1 t pepper

Prepare shells according to package.  Preheat oven to 375*F.  While shells are cooking, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, and herbs d'Provence in a small bowl.  In a medium saucepan, make a roux with flour and butter.  Slowly stir in the milk, then the cream.  Stir until it thickens, 5-10 minutes.  Add cheese in handfuls, stirring to mix.  Bring to a soft boil.  After the mixture is melted together and thick, add the pepper and the shells, and stir to combine.  Pour into a greased (butter preferred) glass or ceramic casserole or baking dish.  Top with bread crumb mixture.  Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes; uncover and bake for 10-15 or until bubbling and golden brown.

And in case you were wondering, yes, this IS why I married her.

• SmokeyPitt
    Sounds as good as it looks...thanks for posting!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thank you sir!  Sounds good and something to tackle next week.  Thanks again,  Charlie
  • @SmokeyPitt @Charlie tuna: my pleasure, and thanks.  Enjoy!

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Looks spectacular! Are you able to hold 250 for 12 to 14 hours without your fire petering out without a fan/guru setup?
  • @Spaightlabs: Thanks!  I don't use a fan/guru, just a Maverick ET-732 for long cooks, as obsessing over perfecting the vents' apertures is part of the fun for me (I do have a Thermapen for shorter cooks).

Funny you should ask, actually, as this one actually had a small hiccup in the cook.   The total initial cook (for the full packer, not inclusive of FTCing the flat and burnt-ending the point) was nearly a full day, as the packer was around 12 pounds (1.5-2 hours a pound held true here). The first 14 hours, the Egg held around 250 just fine.  However, at some point during the night, I must have turned the Maverick alarm off in my sleep.  I awoke at around 5 am to find the Egg temp sub-200 and the internal brisket temp at 147.

I jumped up from the bed ("baby or Egg?" my wife asked), set the oven to 230, pulled the brisket, foiled it, and tossed it in the oven, and checked the fire.  Coals were almost out (grate clogged, which means I must not have "jigsawed" my build tightly enough) so I cleared the grate, relit the fire and got it back to temp (did not stir, as I still had pecan chips layered in).  Slapped the brisket back on once the Egg got back to temp, went back to sleep for a few hours (putting the Maverick out of reach this time), and that afternoon, had (thankfully) a perfectly fine cut of brisket.

• Spaightlabs
    Thank you for the reply - that's been my experience - guess I gotta spend a bit more time sorting and stacking.
  • SmokeyPitt
    I would recommend one of these:

It helps keep the grate free of ashes and will give you more consistent long burns. 

Another option is one of these:

Wiggle rod- stainless rod from the hardware store or home depot, and bend an L on it.  Poke it up through the holes in the grate and give it a good wiggle to clear the ash before you go to bed. 

• Spaightlabs
    Stainless grate looks like the way to go - thanks.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Stainless grid is a great way to go!

Got them on both my large and mini...............................

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Spaightlabs
    Won't be here in time for tomorrow's cook, but it'll be here in time for Memorial Day weekend egg-a-thon sessions. Thanks for the lead.
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Very good looking cook btw.