Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Trimming a brisket

The brisket I bought has a ton of fat on it, how much do you trim off? Do you trim all of it, half of it or how much?
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Down to about a 1/4 in.

There are two kinds of fat, hard and soft. Ditch all the hard stuff. It won't render.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • b0younceb0younce Posts: 10
    Cool thanks. There was a ton of hard fat on the brisket. Probably lost a 1/4 of its weight
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Fat is a good thing. Leave as much as you think you can handle eating. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,990
    Try looking up the video on you tube of Aaron Franklin doing a brisket. He'll walk you through how to trim a brisket pretty good. Like @travisstrick said, ditch the hard stuff.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • CajunEggHeadCajunEggHead Posts: 189
    I have a deli-ma here I like some fat and the better half won't any fat at all, been married for 45 years and it has been a problem over the years.... I tell her she not to trim it so close, and she tells me she trims and I cook.....boy boy boy  
    :-/

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739
    I have a deli-ma here I like some fat and the better half won't any fat at all, been married for 45 years and it has been a problem over the years.... I tell her she not to trim it so close, and she tells me she trims and I cook.....boy boy boy  
    :-/
    Tell her to switch roles once in a while - for you to trim and she can cook or do what I do - blame it on the "expert eggheads" on this forum :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    Here is a link to the best brisket "how to" page I've ever come across.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 685
    BOWHUNR said:
    Here is a link to the best brisket "how to" page I've ever come across.

Mike
    It's bookmarked. Thanks for the tip.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,028
    Thanks BOWHUNR; that is a fantastic reference!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 538
    Best reference I've ever seen!!!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Griffin said:
    Try looking up the video on you tube of Aaron Franklin doing a brisket. He'll walk you through how to trim a brisket pretty good. Like @travisstrick said, ditch the hard stuff.
    +1 best video I have seen on this.
    ·