Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Shores Beach

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
I generally wouldn't even post something like this, but this totally hit a nerve We were on vaca in Gulf Shores and every morning while eating breakfast on the balcony we would see a group of about 6 guys in wetsuits on the shoreline making several trips in and out of the water. I finally got to the beach to see what they were doing and it was collecting tar balls, some were as big as my head. If you pay attention to the news this was over and done with. NOT. after I started paying attention these tar balls were everywhere. There is no telling what kind of Eco damage this has caused. Ok off my rant now. This is what I got to wake up to all week image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I think I had special time on that very dune. Nice place.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Yea, I remember when that spill was going on. I knew there was no way it was cleared up...way too much oil. Interesting post.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You ever been to Galveston?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It was George Bush's fault... He was in with the oil companies.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I've been down there several times since the spill and haven't seen one speck of oil.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    We were here last year and saw nothing, this year is a different story. Don't get me wrong you are not tripping over the oil rocks but they are here. I don't know a lot bout what s goin on but it seems that what ever detergent BP used to clean this mess up only made the oil coagulate and go to the bottom and now it is finally coming ashore. I read that over 13 million tons of this stuff has been collected.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Mickey said:

No sir, we have not. Is that some place we need to put on he radar?

analyze adapt overcome

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    No it is not! It's a beach with brown water and jellyfish. Gulf shores is much nicer. Not trying to be disrespectful of Galveston.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    Are you sure that it's oil?
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I used to live along the gulf further west than Gulf Shores.  Spent alot of time along the coast all the way over to houston. 

Unfortunately tar balls were around in the 80's and 90's.   It would suck to pull off the highway onto a beach between beaumont and houston, wade out into the water and it was a tar ball day.   Once those globs of crude oil stick to you, you don't just brush them off.

They are not a new thing, have been around for a long time.   Not sure if what you saw was related to the deep water horizon or other issues/causes.

The relative damage to the environment from the horizon seems to pale against the damage to to the Lousiana Marshes from the unfrettered exploration activity in the 60's and 70's.   Randomly cutting canals through the marsh, changing the water mixture.

Cookin in Texas
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Boatbum just said it. I was too lazy.

I lived about 25 miles down the coast and have thrown a ton of tar balls at my little brother.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    We go to Gulf Shores every year between Christmas and New Year's. In 2010 when it happened, there were little tar balls everywhere. Last year, I noticed a few but not nearly as many. The beach was still gorgeous as usual.

From what I understand, there is always a little oil leaking naturally. The sand clumps the oil together and eventually those little balls get buried. Just part of nature's clean up process. The BP clean up crews did more damage by stripping the sand trying to get every tar ball when nature can take care of most of them on it's own.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    The tar balls are coming from mats of oil that are buried under the sand just offshore.
    Rough/Stormy Seas expose the mats, breaking them up into tar balls and are washed
    ashore. The tar mats have been tested and are confirmed to be from The Deep Water Horizon
    spill. The tar balls Travis and Boatbum saw in the 80's and 90's were probably formed from
    a natural seepage of crude oil into the Gulf Of Mexico or from passing ships emptying their
    Bilges at Sea. Mattman enjoy the Water and the Beaches while you are here and a little 
    lighter fluid or a Luftlighter will remove the Tar from your feet/shoes easily.
    Pensacola,FL
  • henapple
    Dawn dishwashing detergent works well.
  • cbruce
    cbruce Posts: 19
    I live a few miles from south padre island. I can remember the Ixtoc oil spill that released 71,500 barrels of oil into the gulf. I was 9 years old at the time and recall the water covered in black. we couldn't go into the surf without getting tar all over us. The impact of that spill lasted all through the 80's and 90's.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I read somewhere that if you took all the oil that was leaked by BP and compared it to the Gulf it was similar to a 22 oz beer being spilled into the superdome.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    brycos said:
    I read somewhere that if you took all the oil that was leaked by BP and compared it to the Gulf it was similar to a 22 oz beer being spilled into the superdome.

Problem is, oil is hydrophobic, beer isn't.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mickey said:

SORRY, you misunderstand. Not trying to get you to put Galveston in trip. Just saying we have had tar balls forever. Nothing new. My beach vacation for the past 13 years has been Seaside in FL.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Mickey said:

HELL TO THA NO!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Mickey said:
    Mickey said:

SORRY, you misunderstand. Not trying to get you to put Galveston in trip. Just saying we have had tar balls forever. Nothing new. My beach vacation for the past 13 years has been Seaside in FL.
    Seaside is an unbelievable town isn't it?  Destin is also a great vacation spot.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mattman3969
    This was a great vacation and the earliest in the yr that we have been in GS. Saying all that the beach was somewhat sparse of people therefore it was awesome. @Mickey, we will steer clear OD Galveston!! Thanks for the heads up!! After a week I will be reuniting with my egg tomorrow.

analyze adapt overcome