Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable rig combo in the mail!

Options
I finally pulled the trigger on an AR. I'm hoping to be able to cook more food with the same amount of lump. Also was hoping some of you could show me some pics of how you utilize the dual racks. I'm hopin to be able to cook full meals easier. Meaning, meat, potatoes, veggies, Etc... Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Me too ....I just ordered r&b oval combo spider and 13" round stone...so excited!! I'd love to see picks of set ups too,sick of looking at cgs pics. ;;)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    I went with the customer combo (oval rack)extra slide, and rig extender with the D rack. I can't wait for the extra room to cook and the ability to pull the whole cook out easily if/when needed.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Cool I also got exttender with sliding d-grid.....can't wait to do some wings up there!!!!

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm jealous! I just bought the kettle-q griddle, some good wire skewers, and various other accessories. The AR is next. Bookmarking this thread....
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Got my AR combo 2 weeks ago. Worth every penny.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My XL Woo2/AR Rig combo is being delivered today.

As far as setups go, Tom shared with me a youtube video he posted of him cooking a brisket and it's his favorite setup right now.  Raised grid, indirect, with access to the lump and ability to add smoking wood throughout the cook.  Good video.
    \:D/
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Here's the video of the setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0X9AEMbVA
    Steve 

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Here is one thing I like. Chicken on top and potatoes and vegetables underneath. You'll love it
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Congrats on that.  I have the AR with the extender and the sliding setups.  Always use, Tom from the CG was most helpful with information, ( and even tried to advise that I purchase the items slowly, so I could learn each product.  Anyway, I have most combinations of setups, and greatly appreciate CG products..  Have never looked back.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Chuckie_T
    Chuckie_T Posts: 21
    Options
    What are CG products?  
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Sorry, Chuckie...Ceramic Grill Works.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Boom! Thanks Tom!
    Steve 

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Boom! Thanks Tom!
    Nice.... is that the 13" stone on the spider down below? If so can you fit much lump underneaththe stone and how many hours of burn could you get from the amount down under the stone (if on spider)?

• YEMTrey
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Boom! Thanks Tom!
    Nice.... is that the 13" stone on the spider down below? If so can you fit much lump underneaththe stone and how many hours of burn could you get from the amount down under the stone (if on spider)?

That is the stone on the spider in the pic.  If I was doing a long and slow smoke, say a brisket or something, I would move the stone and rack up in the Egg leaving plenty of room for lump.  In the video I attached in a previous post, that is the setup that Tom uses. He has the stone on the bottom rack of the tier. That leaves plenty of room for lump, and the addition of wood chunks during the cook.
    I just got this in the mail, so I'm by no means a master of it yet.  I'm sure Tom, or others will chime in and you will figure out the perfect setup for whatever you're cooking.  What I ordered looks like it will accommodate any cook I want to do!

Cheers!
    Steve 

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    @yemtrey will this replace the platesetter or can you use the platesetter with this (obviously without the CGS stone)?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• YEMTrey
    Options
    You can still use the BGE platesetter.  BGE platesetter, legs up, BGE factory grid, then the CGS tier rack on top of the BGE grid.

The options are almost limitless with the entire rig and setup.  You can accomplish just about whatever type and level of cook you desire.
    Steve 

• JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Options
    r270ba said:
    @yemtrey will this replace the platesetter or can you use the platesetter with this (obviously without the CGS stone)?
    This is what the CGS website says:
    "If you own the Big Green Egg® platesetter and are looking for a way to raise the grid on indirect cooks, then the XL Adjustable Rig will work.  The XL Rig can sit atop the XL platesetter/XL grid set-up."

I normally use the XL AR for my (raised) direct cooks.. but, in testing different configurations, I did try what was mentioned here and stacked my XL plate setter, XL grid, then adjustable rig with 20" grid on the top.. the lid just barely squeeked by.. I haven't cooked indirect with this setup yet but I'm confident it'd work after testing it out. 
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Boom! Thanks Tom!

YEMTrey said:

Boom! Thanks Tom!

That looks like an XL egg setup. If that's true then the stone inside is actually 17.5 inches. This is the setup I have and it works great.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS