Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

-OT- Dryer Sheets for Mosquito Repellent- IT really works!- OT

When I lived in Wisconsin I played golf with a guy who tucked a dryer sheet (bounce or whatever) in the back of his hat. He said it kept the bugs away. I never forgot it but never tried it until tonight. We've had a ton of rain the past few days and the skeeters were out in full force around to pool tonight. I went out to go clean the pool and got mauled right away. Went inside, no insect repellent of any kind around the house. So, I grabbed a dryer sheet. rubbed it on my neck, arms, and legs and went back out.

stood there and watched all the bloodsuckers gather. About 20 of them swarming around my legs/ankles but only one landed and it took off in under a second. Not one single bite....and I smelled amazing :))

anyhow, just thought I would pass it along as we are entering that season. Don't let bugs ruin your eggin'. Smell great and be bug free with a dryer sheet.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm gonna tuck this nugget away for future use, thanks!

XLBGE 
  • I was highly skeptical but they wanted nothing to do with it. they were all around me too. crazy
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    A lot of guys do it at a golf club near me. It does work for sure.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I find mosquitos useful to spot in the AR.. Neighbors hate it, but....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I actually chose to live in the mountains to escape them damn things, I have a body chemistry that really attracts them.  Will have to try this next time I go photographing in the low-lying bird refuges!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Eau de CT

Much better than Irish shower.
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Bugs are not allowed in my yard.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Do they work for blackflies? Mosquitos aren't out yet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Nothing works for black flies.

Permethrin is magic for mosquitoes.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2013
    I had a buddy tell me about the dryer sheets about two years ago.  I have used Permethrin on all of my trips to Africa and while it works well for the ticks, it was no where near as effective on the flying insects as Avon Skin So Soft.  I tried the dryer sheets last summer here at home and was amazed!  Can't wait for my next trip across the pond to experiment!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Mosquito magnet helps a lot, i have 2, one in my home and one in the Ranch. The secret is to start early in the season and never miss a refill.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm sitting here literally scratching my legs and ankles. Thanks.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Cen-Tex I'll give it a try.  My apologies, but I pretty skeptical.  Here in Michigan, we are surrounded by water and the mosquito is our state bird.  I was just thinking the other day that I'm going to have to figure something out to keep those bloodsuckers at bay.  Usually, late in the day I'll fog around the deck (not near the cookers) and surrounding area.  I hate messing with chemicals around the time I'm prepping or cooking.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    Mississippi also has mosquitoes the size of pterodactyls.  The best tool for the job is a Thermacell.  You can find them in the camping section at Walmart for around $20. 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Do they work for blackflies? Mosquitos aren't out yet
    Blackflies try spraying on brown listerine
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Here is an idea that seems to work well when out on the deck.  A homemade mosquito trap.  I thought about doing something similar for flies using sugar water or something.

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
    Items needed:
    1 cup of water
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1 gram of yeast
    1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
    1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
    2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
    3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
    4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
    5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2013
    @optiontrader

That is quite the active starter for my sourdough!

Sounds awesome though, I will need to give this a try.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    @little steven

if you ever come across a bottle of this buy it, its the only thing that works on black flies. it just takes a drop. they pulled it off the market so it cant be good for you
    :))

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Neither are blackfly bites

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna give that a try this summer.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Good to know, thanks! :)
    Dryer sheets will also remove dead love bugs from your car.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Have heard of the dryer sheets, but never tried it, thanks for the confirmation.

There used to be ( maybe still is) and Avon product called Skin-so-Soft. Dilute it with water, spray on, fantanstic repellent.   And you smell nice for your playing partners....

Cookin in Texas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    boatbum said:

Have heard of the dryer sheets, but never tried it, thanks for the confirmation.

There used to be ( maybe still is) and Avon product called Skin-so-Soft. Dilute it with water, spray on, fantanstic repellent.   And you smell nice for your playing partners....

I like "Off". On special occasions, "Deep Woods Off".
    Flint, Michigan
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Optiontrader: They sell fly traps like this, with a dispobable bag, and bait (found at local Ace),

But MAN, the bait smells like their favorite attractant, so put it far far away. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    @tazcrash:  LOL! not something you want hanging around while you're cooking!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    BTW, this was the product: 

Funny how 1 person complained about the smell of the bait. If only flies were attracted to flowers.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Here is an idea that seems to work well when out on the deck.  A homemade mosquito trap.  I thought about doing something similar for flies using sugar water or something.

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
    Items needed:
    1 cup of water
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1 gram of yeast
    1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
    1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
    2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
    3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
    4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
    5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
    I have tried this & it works. (on Cali. skeeters)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2013
    Will it work better than a bag of water and a penny? :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Will it work better than a bag of water and a penny? :-B
    if you want to hang a bag o water and penny from your......never mind......let's just say for personal use, it's better than a bag of water and a penny
  • boatbum said:

yes sir- skin so soft works very well too. I Just didn't have anything but dryer sheets at the time so i figured I would give it a rip.