Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A sad day in BBQ world...

I tried to bring some Texas brisket overseas and treat these young Airmen to some southern hospitality. Sadly, the patient didn't make it when the dry ice in the cooler couldn't last the whole trip. (plane it was on needed a difficult part fixed, long story) I can't take a chance on anybody getting sick. I guess it was just not meant to be.

Say goodbye to 3 precooked briskets headed to the dumpster. I suppose it was a dumb idea. What a bummer.

·

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,891
    A very good deed you had there!! Not dumb at all! I can only imagine how much a taste of home or just some love would feel if I was away.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • oh that sucks. dang

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,518
    Very cool thought.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

Thank you for going to the trouble. Full points to you.

Had Papa Johns send us all over there a personal pan pizza once when we had crap to eat. Will never forget the wonderful taste and the feeling of gratitude. 

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Sorry... But you're the man. It never ceases to amaze me how generous eggers are. Family.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,915
    @ Fearless-fantastic gesture.  I wish your mission had a 100% success rate -but not to be.  I'm not gonna say much more than "your cargo should have merited special consideration" once the delays were obvious.  Not there so no "Monday morning quarterbacking" about the trip.  But if you are in a position to give it another shot and want some support then shoot me a PM and I'm all in.
    Louisville
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Damn nice try! Wish it had worked out!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,117
    This a proud day for BBQ! Technical glitches do not diminish your kindness and generosity. Well done sir!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    You're a great American! What a great compliment to our military! Even though it didn't work out , you are a good man for trying to treat our Boys!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,411
    Wonderful idea and you should be congratulated for it...

Don't over season it like Frank Costanza did :)
    ·
  • MrossMross Posts: 334
    What a great thought and gesture. God bless our troops.
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • FearlessTheEggNoobFearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 465
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I thought it should merit extra handling myself, but I guess the crew forgot about it in the bag drag. Only can do so much from over here to make things happen. Oh well, it is what it is. Time to move on.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the offer of help. I think I best stay out of the brisket game till I get back home and can make one myself.

At least I still got the beer part of the setup. That...and Kebaps. Given enough beer, they taste pretty good.

·
  • bobbymcGbobbymcG Posts: 13
    FWIW, if the brisket was frozen before the trip, and then only out for 24 hrs, no worries. lived overseas for two decades now and i always took loads of pre-cooked brisket back. just threw them into the luggage and re-froze them 24 hrs later.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
    That was indeed a beautiful gesture. Good on you!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 682
    The thought is really what counts! =D>

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • sticks88sticks88 Posts: 94
    It was a noble idea.Just didn't work is all.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    OMG, what a bummer, sorry.  Congrats on your efforts tho...wondenful.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • chris123stockchris123stock Posts: 664
    Thats a shame, but not a dumb idea, it was an honorable try and would of been appreciated by everyone.  I would like to take time to thank you for your efforts.  The men and women overseas need people like you to bring good in a trying situation. I do salute you sir. 
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Great effort - I got started on the BGE forum due to the generosity of Eggers like @Mickey, who sent us so much rub and tabasco we used it for 6 months in the mess hall on our FOB + an in-house Iron Chef.  That is an idea as well, send rub to them.  They can get ribs and such and definitely have opportunity to grill while downrange.  
    ·