Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A sad day in BBQ world...

Options
I tried to bring some Texas brisket overseas and treat these young Airmen to some southern hospitality. Sadly, the patient didn't make it when the dry ice in the cooler couldn't last the whole trip. (plane it was on needed a difficult part fixed, long story) I can't take a chance on anybody getting sick. I guess it was just not meant to be.

Say goodbye to 3 precooked briskets headed to the dumpster. I suppose it was a dumb idea. What a bummer.

Gittin' there...

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    A very good deed you had there!! Not dumb at all! I can only imagine how much a taste of home or just some love would feel if I was away.

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    oh that sucks. dang
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Very cool thought.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Thank you for going to the trouble. Full points to you.

Had Papa Johns send us all over there a personal pan pizza once when we had crap to eat. Will never forget the wonderful taste and the feeling of gratitude. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sorry... But you're the man. It never ceases to amaze me how generous eggers are. Family.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @ Fearless-fantastic gesture.  I wish your mission had a 100% success rate -but not to be.  I'm not gonna say much more than "your cargo should have merited special consideration" once the delays were obvious.  Not there so no "Monday morning quarterbacking" about the trip.  But if you are in a position to give it another shot and want some support then shoot me a PM and I'm all in.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Damn nice try! Wish it had worked out!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    This a proud day for BBQ! Technical glitches do not diminish your kindness and generosity. Well done sir!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    You're a great American! What a great compliment to our military! Even though it didn't work out , you are a good man for trying to treat our Boys!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Wonderful idea and you should be congratulated for it...

Don't over season it like Frank Costanza did :)
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    What a great thought and gesture. God bless our troops.
    Duncan, SC
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I thought it should merit extra handling myself, but I guess the crew forgot about it in the bag drag. Only can do so much from over here to make things happen. Oh well, it is what it is. Time to move on.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the offer of help. I think I best stay out of the brisket game till I get back home and can make one myself.

At least I still got the beer part of the setup. That...and Kebaps. Given enough beer, they taste pretty good.
    Gittin' there...
  • bobbymcG
    bobbymcG Posts: 13
    Options
    FWIW, if the brisket was frozen before the trip, and then only out for 24 hrs, no worries. lived overseas for two decades now and i always took loads of pre-cooked brisket back. just threw them into the luggage and re-froze them 24 hrs later.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That was indeed a beautiful gesture. Good on you!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    The thought is really what counts! =D>

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Options
    It was a noble idea.Just didn't work is all.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    OMG, what a bummer, sorry.  Congrats on your efforts tho...wondenful.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    Thats a shame, but not a dumb idea, it was an honorable try and would of been appreciated by everyone.  I would like to take time to thank you for your efforts.  The men and women overseas need people like you to bring good in a trying situation. I do salute you sir. 
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    Great effort - I got started on the BGE forum due to the generosity of Eggers like @Mickey, who sent us so much rub and tabasco we used it for 6 months in the mess hall on our FOB + an in-house Iron Chef.  That is an idea as well, send rub to them.  They can get ribs and such and definitely have opportunity to grill while downrange.