Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Rib Failure

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Planned on trying my hand at turbo ribs while doing some yard work. Got my fire stabilized (or so I thought) at 320, put ribs on. Checked 45 min later, temp 320-330, nice smelling smoke from wood chips I had mixed around. Came back an hour later to see if I needed to flip the ribs, temp at 430 and ribs totally fried.

I was ravenous, so I tried to eat some the middle, but just terriblely overdone.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    That's a crazy temp jump man. Sorry for your loss.

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That stinks, I suppose at least it wasn't multiple racks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Sorry to hear and see of this. We all have had failures on our eggs, just as in life. Live, learn and continue, just another notch whittled into the wisdom tree.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I have been really happy with my Maverick-- so nice to have an over/under temperature alarm in my pocket.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    No worries...it's happened to the best of us.  Just learn from it and you'll hit a grand slam next time!   :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Been there, done that.  I just called them "Cajun Blackened Ribs" and moved on.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Cool Jazz
    Cool Jazz Posts: 9
    Options
    They still look tasty actually....
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That is true wisdom @Foghorn, practical knowledge I can immediately put to use!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    That is true wisdom @Foghorn, practical knowledge I can immediately put to use!

I'm just here to help. And thanks for the shout-out because I was getting depressed by thinking that @henapple - from his PBR coma - had outthought me on this one. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's not a comma... I'm just resting my eyes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    if you had foiled them with some liquid for a couple hours I think they would have been fine.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    What @Cowdogs said is spot on.  You can save even terribly violated ribs by wrapping them in foil and adding some kind of liquid.  They are very forgiving.

Your starting temp was a tad high as well.  Have you considered smoking them low and slow for 3-4 hours, then wrapping? You can grill them again to put a crunchy bark on them.  
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sorry to hear that..I'm sure the next batch will be great!  That is quite a temp jump.  Did you open the egg at all?  Wondering if your daisy wheel might have fell open.  

The other thing I have had happen is you have an airflow issue...some kind of clog.  The vents are open much wider than they "should" e at a given temp.  Then, the clog breaks free and the temp jumps.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Dude you need a Maverick. Period.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Hate to hear that but it happens. Did you have your temp dialed in before you put them on and left them? It takes me usually 15-20 min for my starters to go out and to get my temp stabilized, takes even longer when it is windy. Try doing your ribs at 275 grid temp. I did 3 racks of baby backs yesterday at 275 grid for about 3-1/2 hrs. After 2 hrs, spritz them with apple juice and then do it again at 3 hrs. Start the bend test and checking for tenderness at 3 hrs. I could have taken them off at about 3 hr-15 min but I sauced them and let that caramelize before I took them off. Also, as others have stated, if you don't have a Maverick, get one. One thing I learned is that when my temp is stabilized, the Maverick and my dome thermo will be almost dead even. The temp doesn't move after that. Keep trying.
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Clearly the temperature jump was the issue, and I'm sorry they burned up on you :(

So as not to have you be discouraged about the turbo rib method, I did baby backs turbo style this weekend and with a steady temp they turned out phenomenal.  Rubbed them down and threw them on at 350 bones up for 90 mins, then flipped the bones down for the last 90 mins.. glazed about 15 mins before they were done.. all of this per Mickey's recommendations.

I'm going to keep doing them this way for a while.. Based on how well these turned out I'm scared to try a turbo butt because I enjoy a nice early or over-night cook and might end up spoiled on these turbo cooks.

Again, my condolences; but, like everyone else said, you've got the perfect excuse to throw back a few more beers and keep trying! :)

XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    "Nothing Ventured - Nothing Gained"         Many of the methods we use here on this forum were discovered when one of us made a mistake -  ths is the price we have to pay.  Couple of weeks ago i learnt not to cut corners concerning buying meat for "pulled beef"!!  Since "boneless bottom beef roast' was on sale, i jumped on it!  Told myself, "hey,if i cook it low and slow and long enough, it will pull like a butt!".  WRONG !!  Went right from the egg into the garbage can!!!  It cooked into "BEEF LOG"!!!  Thanks for sharing, i learnt something over your post!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    JaredMD said:
    Clearly the temperature jump was the issue, and I'm sorry they burned up on you :(

So as not to have you be discouraged about the turbo rib method, I did baby backs turbo style this weekend and with a steady temp they turned out phenomenal.  Rubbed them down and threw them on at 350 bones up for 90 mins, then flipped the bones down for the last 90 mins.. glazed about 15 mins before they were done.. all of this per Mickey's recommendations.

Are you using a really low sugar rub?  I did the same thing last week (actually, only 1:15 per side @350F), and they were just a little overdone, but kind of charred looking.  Taste was fine...but looking at them, I thought we might be going out for dinner.
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Options
    njl said:
    JaredMD said:

Are you using a really low sugar rub?  I did the same thing last week (actually, only 1:15 per side @350F), and they were just a little overdone, but kind of charred looking.  Taste was fine...but looking at them, I thought we might be going out for dinner.
    That's a really good point.. in the past I've added brown sugar to my rub anywhere from 75/25 up to 50/50 and I can see where extra sugar might have caused some charring.. lately (and for these) I've been doing straight butt rub, and glazing with a local BBQ sauce that isn't overly sweet.  
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

It's happened to everyone. Happened to me as well 2 weeks ago - did turbo at 350 and fell asleep in the middle of the cook. 4.5 to 5 hours later, I woke up and took it off. It looks like yours by that time but as others have suggested, managed to salvage it by foiling with butter and apple juice.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    I did a rack of baby backs this weekend with some hickory chips and apple wood chunks for flavor.  325-350 inidirect for 1.5 hours, then removed them and foiled with apple juice and honey for 1 hour at the same temp, then removed the foil, basted with my favorite bbq sauce and put back on the egg for 15-20 minutes then basted again one more time for another 20 minutes.  By far the best ribs ive made, the bones pulled right out with very little effort and the bbq crust was amazing.  I've always cooked them around 250 for close to 5 hours in the past and I will never make that mistake again.