Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post low and slow Butt advise Urgent - Apologies not necessary

Options
Going to Northern Minnesota for an annual fishing trip with 11 Friends this morning.  I decided to cook up 14 lbs of Butt, because Cow Lick Chili just did not sound like a good idea for a cabin full of 12 men.  At any rate the butt came out of the Egg at 203 degrees at 4 am this morning.  It is currently 6:45, I am leaving at 8 am and the butt is not going to be eaten until either noonish or 3-4 pm.
I have it currently FTC'd but I am curious what your thoughts are for transport given my schedule?  I am considering pulling it and putting it in a tin disposable pan and wrapping in foil or leaving as it is in the FTC. 
What would you do? Any other ideas?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I would not feel comfortable FTCing for 8 to 12 hours.  I go 4 hours at the most.  Do you have an oven at the cabin?  If so, I'd put ice in the cooler, then warm it up at the cabin.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Yes there is an oven.  I was also thinking about bringing a slow cooker to warm it up.  So would you pull it now or after it is re-heated?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    Yes there is an oven.  I was also thinking about bringing a slow cooker to warm it up.  So would you pull it now or after it is re-heated?
    I'll yield to the pork guys on that.  I'm west of the Sabine River and south of the Red River, so brisket is my forte. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Ah thanks.  I will ring you up when I try my first Brisket then.  Been wanting to for 2 years since I got my egg and have yet to try it.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I have done both. Usually what works best for me for travel is FTC for two-3 hours then ice in a cooler. I leave it whole and pull there.

Or you could pull it and put in large pans but it'd be harder to keep cold.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would keep it wrapped up and reheat via oven or crock pot. If you use the pot, add some apple juice to the cooker. The juices will stay inside when whole, but drip to the bottom if pulled. You can do both, but I prefer pulling right before eating.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Don't forget the cole slaw!

"Going to Northern Minnesota for an annual fishing trip with 11 Friends this morning."

They will love it cold out of the cooler!!!

:P