Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas on The Baking Steel

WTF happened to this place the last couple months....lots of chaos it seems.

Setup was 16" stone on top of AR, copper T's with steel on top, cooked at 700 for just a couple minutes. Dough was Neopolitan recipe from serious eats.

First pie was ham, fresh mozz, roasted corn, goat cheese dollops finished with a balsamic reduction drizzle
Second was asparagus from the garden, ham and fresh mozz and same goat cheese.

Pretty good for first try with steel, although I'm not sure if that is that much better than on stone...nice thin crust that's still has a good amount of chew to it, but I was getting those kind of results before.

Comments

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Great looking cook - especially those ingredients from your own garden.  Well done!  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice pies. Any side shots of the crust? From what I am seeing after seeing various posts and some experience of my own, it seems that the steel performs better with a heat deflector underneath?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I do believe that it does perform better with a heat shield under, I think it would be way too hot without it...at least for baking applications. Here's all I have left for a side shot- image
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    + 1 on your comment. Way to much drama for a cooking forum. Nice looking pie.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Nice looking crust! I've put a lot if things on pizza, but never asparagus. Well played!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Welcome backMQ - what happened? Did they close Rocky Mountain High Country? 
    Glad to see you back. 
    BTW - nice pies!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • welcome back :)

It's been totally calm until 48 hrs ago. They must have known you were coming back. Seriously, been boring but we have a dual-forum spillover $hit show going on today. I'm having a nice toddy and enjoying the show. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Welcome backMQ - what happened? Did they close Rocky Mountain High Country? 
    Glad to see you back. 
    BTW - nice pies!

Thanks! Yeah I got bored here, got busy with life (moved, helped friend get brewery going, and getting ready for another baby in a couple weeks)... Not sure I'll stick around if today's active threads are an indication of how this place has been...could use less drama.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Thanks Qnbrew and Jamie!
  • Welcome backMQ - what happened? Did they close Rocky Mountain High Country? 
    Glad to see you back. 
    BTW - nice pies!

Thanks! Yeah I got bored here, got busy with life (moved, helped friend get brewery going, and getting ready for another baby in a couple weeks)... Not sure I'll stick around if today's active threads are an indication of how this place has been...could use less drama.
    seriously, I was gone for a month or so, came back and all has been mellow for 2 months...............today...not so much. it's been better, but today went of the rails. Funny, but still drama club

• Mighty_Quinn
    welcome back :)

It's been totally calm until 48 hrs ago. They must have known you were coming back. Seriously, been boring but we have a dual-forum spillover $hit show going on today. I'm having a nice toddy and enjoying the show. 
    Thanks CT- I tried to send vibes this way that I was gonna be posting...apparently it worked. I remember when this was a much more friendlier place ;)
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Mighty fine cook there Quinn, good to see ya back!
  • Eggbeater
    Eggbeater Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Mighty_Quinn - that crust looks amazing. I want to try that dough recipe next time I make pizzas.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    +1 is right.  that is the crust of champions!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Thanks u-tarded and Eggbeater. I have to laugh at myself...now that I've had a chance to sit down and search for baking steel threads, I see that I missed out on the group buy. I'm a Serious Eats junkie and bought one soon after I saw Kenji's good test results.... Could've saved 15 bucks. Oh well.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    @Mighty_Quinn - that crust looks amazing. I want to try that dough recipe next time I make pizzas.
    Thanks...It's a great crust recipe. Freezes really well...this batch was made 6 weeks ago and frozen after a 48 hour cold ferment.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    welcome back :)

Thanks CT- I tried to send vibes this way that I was gonna be posting...apparently it worked. I remember when this was a much more friendlier place ;)
    btw- we did pies with broccolini sunday......wow. Give that a rip. we did a fast saute in the fat from the italian sausage we pan seared and threw a little garlic in. we threw it on the pies still very al dente and It was really good.  
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Ha. CT--I make almost the exact same one sometimes, except I use sautéed broccoli raab instead of broccolini...they pretty similar 'cept the raab is more bitter...love outside the box pizza toppings. My current favorite is pesto for sauce and then thinly sliced parboiled potatoes with green beans and dollops of either fresh ricotta or marscapone. Give that one a rip!
  • Ha. CT--I make almost the exact same one sometimes, except I use sautéed broccoli raab instead of broccolini...they pretty similar 'cept the raab is more bitter...love outside the box pizza toppings. My current favorite is pesto for sauce and then thinly sliced parboiled potatoes with green beans and dollops of either fresh ricotta or marscapone. Give that one a rip!

Nice! we love raab too. very cool- we do ricotta too. We make it ourselves if you want the recipe. Ricotta is the curd that's left from making mozzarella and you re-cook (ricotta is translated to re-cooked in en 'ingles). Making mozz is easy and fun to do at home too.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Are we related? I make my own mozz a couple times a month following Ricki Carrol's 30 minute mozzarella recipe/technique and recook the curds for ricotta.