Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the KJ heat deflector.

Mross
Mross Posts: 338
I bought the KJ heat deflector to replace the BGE plate setter. I am really impressed with this piece of equipment. It fits perfectly in the LBGE and when using indirect has less hot spots than the plate setter.
Duncan, SC

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It is a touch larger isn't it?
    With the PS, legs up there is lots of airflow around the setter, as I recall the KJ is slightly larger, which restricts the air flow a bit more. 
    Obviously it works, 'cause your ribs looked great. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mross
    This was the first cook with it and the hot spot was non existent. I cooked 6 racks and the outside racks had no char marks.
    Duncan, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Link or pics?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mross
    Here is a pic locking down at a 45 degree angle. There is about a 1/4 inch gap the entire way around.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    Here is a pic of the webber handle light I posted earlier.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    The KJ heat deflector will allow you to raise the grid to about felt level for a direct cook without the stone.
    Duncan, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @MRoss I bought an egg because there was no KJ dealer in my area, Primo's yes KJ's no. Neighbor had a KJ and it was the first Kamado I cooked on. No regrets with my MBGE, just saying. 
    Like many MBGE owners I use a Grill Dome extender as BGE does not make one. 

Find what works and share it, that's the heart of this forum. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mross
    I had the plate setter to start with. The KJ design is better than the BGE plate setter. It allows you to do more with less.
    Duncan, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks @Mross. I'll try to get a look at one in person sometime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mross
    I really like it better than the plate setter. It is a lot more versatile. Using it indirect it does not have the hot spots the plate setter does. I learned about it on the Naked Whiz site
    Duncan, SC
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What is the cost?  Is the photo showing the deflector being supported by a hanger from the fire ring?  Thanks
  • Mross
    The hanger came with the stone. You can use it like the PS feet up or down. If you remove the stone and leave the hanger it will raise the grid to felt level. 60.00 on amazon.
    Duncan, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks like a pretty cool accessory!  I would definitely consider that over the plate setter.  I have always wondered why the plate setter doesn't cover more area than it does.  The fact that it can do a raised direct setup is a nice bonus. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    I also use the KJ indirect setup on my large. My dealer actually mentioned it to me as a good alternative to ps when I bought my large, he cooks on the KJ indirect setup as well. For the same cost as ps, the KJ offers more variety in setup with multi options for stone height : low on frame (ps legs up), high on frame (ps legs down) then you can also change height again by either placing the metal frame on top of fire ring, or in cut outs where ps legs would sit. Or as posted above, use frame only, and it provides raised direct. It really is like having a woo and ps for same cost as ps with better coverage then ps. I had made comments on other posts recommending folks take a look at the KJ, but they didn't get many reads, hope this thread gets more reads, highly recommend the KJ indirect piece.
  • Charlie tuna

LTAFlynEgg,

You have a good dealer to set you straight with this option.  I have "rigged" the upper direct grid, which the KJ provides.  It would be worth it to me just to get rid of the "hot spots" that the platesetter creates!  Most of my cooks are indirect, so this is important to me.  I would question the small amount of clearance the KJ has, but if it is working for you guys, it must be fine!  Now i have to find a source?  What is the actual "manufacturer" or "brand name" ?  Thanks

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Sounds like a good set up. Wish I've known this sometime ago. I think it'll work even better if you use the 16" pan from Walmart (under $10) for drip pan over it.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Charlie tuna
    Thanks Mross,  Just ordered it....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Here is a picture of the various configurations that you can use with that heat deflector:

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Incidentally, someone asked me if you could use the heat deflector from a KJ Big Joe in a Big Green Egg XL.  I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but if anyone has any experience, I'd like to hear it.

The Naked Whiz
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    With a more resrticted air flow, is there any concerns about more flashbacks when opening?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mross
    No flashbacks cooking low and slow. I have not tried at high temps yet. I t really does not restrict the airflow just redirects it in a circle as opposed to the PS configuration.

@ Naked Whiz I got the idea from your web site. Thanks.
    Duncan, SC
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    edited September 2017
    Ordered a kj heat deflector from jet.com reviving this thread  for new egg owners. Heat deflector and woo type option for $49. Thanks for sharing this info. 
  • I use the same KJ set up in my LBGE but have a two piece stone and grill. It still takes two hours per pound of meat when cooking butts or brisket.  That is with a grill temperature  range of 235 to 265º.  I'm not a newbie either.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    I use the same KJ set up in my LBGE but have a two piece stone and grill. It still takes two hours per pound of meat when cooking butts or brisket.  That is with a grill temperature  range of 235 to 265º.  I'm not a newbie either. 
    I ordered the two piece stone as well. Should be able to do some indirect and direct cooking. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL