Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my Boston Butt BAD?

Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a butt yesterday afternoon, and put some dry rub spices on it, wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and tucked it into the refrigerator. When I pulled it out this am at 6, the surface of the meat where the spices weren't in contact had turned sort of a green color. To top it off, there is a very strong meat smell. Not necessarily a bad smell, sort of like what you can smell in any raw meat, but stronger. Did I get a bad cut of meat? Or is this normal for a butt? Now I'm paranoid!!

Comments

• Dave,[p]First, if there is any doubt, throw the meat away. I do have some questions. If you rubbed the meat, where were the spices that were not in contact with the meat? What did you use for the rub? The meat shouldn't be green unless it is from the USDA stamp that is placed on some meat. The stamp is usually blue or green in color. If it smells bad, throw it away. Just don't take a chance with bad meat. [p]Old Dave

• Dave
    Old Dave,[p]I covered the top and bottom with spices, but left the edge uncovered. It was a healthy pink yesterday, but had a decidedly greenish-gray tint on the outside today. The spices were a mixture of sage, paprika, cracked pepper, cayenna pepper, and sea salt. [p]I'm going to chuck it and get a new one at 9 when the butcher shop opens. It's only 4 lbs, so it should be ready to eat by 7 tonight, I hope.[p][p]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dave,
    Take it back to the store where you bought it. That piece of meat is tainted.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Dave,
    Good luck getting your new fresh one cooked (he better give you a REAL fresh one now!!)[p]Cook that sucker at 250 minimum if you want to eat tonight! Wrapping in foils once internal temp hits 170 will get you finished much quicker, and though the crust will not be crunchy, it will still taste great.[p]Sorry about your setback! You'll be smiling by the time the night is over! Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dave
    Nature Boy,[p]I was cooking the first one (now in the trash) at about 225, and the internal temp went from mid40's to 100 in about 2 hours....will it plateau and slow down like a brisket will, or can i assume a pretty linear temp increase? The butcher said that it would cook in 25 minutes per pound at 325. (BTW, it was a 4 lb boneless 'lean generation' boston butt)[p][p]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    dave,[p]Welcome to the Forum! Yes, you can expect a plateau like a brisket. Sounds like your butcher doesn't know from low-and-slow...take him a sample (if you have any left over) and make a friend for life. [p]I agree with Nature Boy; cook at a dome temp of at least 250 if you want to eat tonight. It will be delicious even if you don't have time to hit the fall-apart stage; just slice rather than pull.[p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    dave,
    I did one of those lean generation picnics. Is yours one of those kind that the bone was removed, and the rest is stuffed into a net sack??? If so, it might cook a bit quicker that the regular bone-in version.[p]Curious as to what a "lean generation" butt is like! Butts are supposed to be good and fatty. Will still be good, but as an experient, try the regular old fatty bone-in boston butt for your next cook, and see how they compare.[p]I like Cat's idea of taking a sample to your butcher! Nothing like making new buddies....especially in the meat bizness..hee! [p]Well, back to work!
    Have a great time cooking that wonderful chunk of pork.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dave,
    I was told by my butcher that when the butts paired up and are put in the plastic bag. Sometimes they will build up a ammonia gas that smells strong when you open the bag. He said the meat is ok and to rinse the meat and allow it sit open for a while in the frig. and the gas would dissipate. FYI However it doen't sound like this is your particular problem.

• Dave
    Carolina Wizard,[p]Interesting, I've never heard of that before. However, I agree that in my case, it was just plain old tainted meat. When I went back to the market, all of the butts that had been in the meat case were gone...now, i know they didn't sell all of those butts in a few hours, so I suspect it was all tainted. That's the drawback to unwrapped meats hanging out together in close quarters. Anyway, I got a fresh one at a different store, and I'm smoking it with my fingers crossed that it won't take too long to bust through the plateau. I'm figuring I can stretch things out a few hours longer if I put the blender and the good tequila on the deck! That way people will be less anxious about when dinner is served.