Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Black Olive Grill - Kamodo on Pellets!

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,429
I had to stop at my favorite BGE store to pick up some fire-starter and noticed a BGE with the newer handle, then I noticed it had a gas temp control and new side table attached, and a door on top.  I thought, "Cool, a gas side burner for my Egg, HOW can I live without it!"  
I googled Black Olive Grill and got websites for a whole bunch of restaurants.  So I googled Black Olive Grill Green Egg and at least got this video:

It wasn't a BGE at all, but rather a look-alike, and what I thought was a side gas burner was actually a door for pellets.  I don't have time right now to find their official website, but wonder if any of you have seen this before, first time I've heard of it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited May 2013
    I have seen one for sale and it was 2000 dollars. Up in here in Canada
    Edit: it is 1599 on kijiji in Ottawa
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Looks amazing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Sorry, didn't watch the video, So it's gas operated with pellets for smoke? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Stargaze
    Stargaze Posts: 68
    I like the cooking grate the food is sitting on.  I'd like to upgrade to something like that if they have them for the LG egg.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    tazcrash said:
    Sorry, didn't watch the video, So it's gas operated with pellets for smoke? 
    I think it uses a combination of electricity and pellets.  Electricity to heat an element and turn an auger to feed pellets for flame and smoke.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Thanks SmokeyPitt. 
    So a Kamado shaped Traeger? 
    Hmmm.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I was really intrigued when you said side burner - I really want a side burner for outdoors but the stand alone/build in ones are so expensive.  Was thinking about a 3 burner Camp Chef outdoor but don't know how durable it would be in an exposed outdoor kitchen.

I don't see the benefit of the pellet set up - unless you pick a temp and go.  I have a manual espresso machine at home and pulling great shots is tricky but controlling temps on the egg is so easy to get and hold temp.  This pellet grill would have the same cool down problem if you overshoot the temp on the way up and I can't imagine you could go nuclear - do a great pizza temp, or Trex sear with pellets.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2013
    @Botch   I'm not sure if you noticed, but BO is installing Rutlands from the factory.  I wish another company we know would follow suit.   ;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    They do offer a charcoal version as well...it looks like it still has a heating element used to start the fire...basically a built in electric starter I suppose. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If you need a side burner and have a table available, the wife uses a propane powered burner that operates off of the disposable canisters.  Works quite well and very reasonably priced.  She is of Asian descent and uses it to cook Ho Guo (Chinese Hot Pot).  Just set it in the middle of the table with a wide based pan and they cook their food right there.  Also portable for picnics and the like.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    I have a pellet smoker and while it's nice it will never be a charcoal grill like the BGE is, which is why I wanted a true Kamodo type cooker.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

I must be missing something here.  What is the advantage of pellets - over "put a bunch of charcoal in your kamado and set the vents for a long cook"?

Isn't inventing the pellet kamado like creating the artificial appendix?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX