Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide BBQ Chicken

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I think I might be addicted to doing Sous Vide Chicken, the last 3 cooks I have done with chicken have been done this way and each time I experiment with something new. Today I wanted to vaccum seal a couple chicken breasts with Stubbs BBQ sauce. Put them in the water bath at 135 degrees and then went and worked out and rode my bike for a few hours. Came home and started the egg up and pulled them out close to 3 hours in the water bath.  Coated them down with dizzy dust and tossed them on at 300 Direct. Lathered them up in sauce while they were cooking so it would carmelize on the chicken, pulled them off when they were around 145 internal and tossed them in some Anchor Bar wing sauce.

Had some grilled asparagus and some brussel sprouts on the side also. The BBQ sauce and then the wing sauce was an interesting flavor kinda a sweet and heat deal.  Wife was sure of the flavor but did clean her plate and is taking left overs to work.

I think the thing that attracts me to the Sous Vide of cooking is how moist the meat is. I understand that the egg does most the work but I can tell the difference between doing it standard and then Sous Style.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Yup, sous vide has a lot of pluses.  The Egg is great with chicken, moist, flavor and all....add SV I think its outa this world.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Have you tried doing one breast regular and one sous vide side by side to compare?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Have you tried doing one breast regular and one sous vide side by side to compare?
    Yep did the Pepsi challenge test on my wife last week and she chose the Sous Vide version. I think You can tell the difference.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you are on thin ice with those times and temps. really need to be careful with chicken and pork especially. 135 for several hours is bad. download a SV time and temp chart and stick to it. it only takes 1 cook to go wrong for you and yours to have a very bad night and you are right in the wheelhouse for that to happen. 147 is the number for chicken breast. careful out there boys and girls :). glad you like the SV though. I'll never make chicken breast the same again. there is a huge difference.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    you are on thin ice with those times and temps. really need to be careful with chicken and pork especially. 135 for several hours is bad. download a SV time and temp chart and stick to it. it only takes 1 cook to go wrong for you and yours to have a very bad night and you are right in the wheelhouse for that to happen. 147 is the number for chicken breast. careful out there boys and girls :). glad you like the SV though. I'll never make chicken breast the same again. there is a huge difference.
    To be honest this did cross my mind as I was eating it and started thinking halway through if and when will I get sick. Thanks for the heads up on the SV Time and Temp chart  I am looking at it right now.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    To be honest this did cross my mind as I was eating it and started thinking halway through if and when will I get sick. Thanks for the heads up on the SV Time and Temp chart  I am looking at it right now.
    no harm no foul but you were really skirting it with those temps/times. SV is the perfect environment for bogeys to grow so you really need to stick to the known safe times and temps on the chart. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    IMHO...Just to expand my sous vide / egg cooking of poultry ( bone in )... I most times sous vide to approx 150-155F, above the pasteurization temp of 130F.  The sous vide water temp should be equal to the food target / desired temp.  Prob not a good idea for a multi hour cook at or near the safe temp for the food.  The Egg just "finishes" the food, preserving moisture and adding flavor and texture.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Chicken breasts with a maximum thickness of 1 inch will be pasteurized to core after 2:41:16 @ 135F in a circulating water bath. Perfectly safe...

Options
    I don't know if I hit 2:41:16, thinking closer to 2:32:12 and the water was not circulating.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Options
    Poly Science has an app for the iphone/ipad that I find is great.  I don't know if there is one for android, or not, but take a look, I think the app is great.  Let me know what you think.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Poly Science has an app for the iphone/ipad that I find is great.  I don't know if there is one for android, or not, but take a look, I think the app is great.  Let me know what you think.

The Polyscience app is actually a rebranded sous vide dash app

http://www.sousvidedash.com/faq.html

You can select different devices to set the right coefficients. It is extremely accurate.

Options
    Salmonella is the main risk in chicken. Log reduction of 7 at core in 2:17:31 - you were mostly safe :)