Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Loaded Quesadillas On Steel

Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a brother-in-law that is a welder. He cut a steel for my large 16" by 1/4 . I seasoned it and wanted to try my signature dish....quesadillas! I seasoned the chicken and cooked it. Next I assembled the Quesadillas. I have been perfecting these for years. I use Monterey Jack cheese, real bacon bits,green onions , and tomatoes. I have learned to melt Crisco then let the tortillas cook in it ,for a flaky texture. The steel did great, no sticking. It being a home made one I wondered if food would stick. These turned out great! imageimageimageimageimage
Benton,Arkansas
image.jpg 1.3M
image.jpg 1.6M
image.jpg 1.7M
image.jpg 1.1M
image.jpg 1.3M
·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,944
    Jesus 5/8ths of an inch thick? how much does that thing weigh?  Nice looking quesadillas!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    @Scottborasjr I don't know what I was thinking. I had 5/8 in my head for some reason it is just under 1/4.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    You had me at Crisco... these sound awesome !!! I had something similar made, but a bit thicker - now I want quesadillas... maybe this will be my weekend cook. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,309
    yummy, man im starving now!! great cook 

XLBGE 
    ·
    @caliking @MrCooking thanks guys!  caliking..your "tuff guy" thread is what got me thinking about having one made. 
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,611
    That looks great
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Those dillas look great! Bookmarked
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,463
    @randy1 looks great- did they pick up any good smoky flavor off the egg?
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
    Thanks. @Wolfpack come to think of it, very little if any smoke taste.I put a chunk of mesquite in before cooking the chicken so it would.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just when i convinced myself "i didn't need a steel" ??  What went on the chicken before the cook? 
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    Bravo the other half will be liking g this cook Bookmarked
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    =D> Sweet! Great looking 'dillas.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    edited May 2013
    Thanks everybody! @Charlietuna just Prudhommes Meat Majic and cooked in olive oil. (Not evoo)
    Also , the dillas should be cooked kind of slow med temp.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thanks for the info Randy1, thought i had it covered, but the Prudhommes product i have is blackening seasoning, but i'll pick some up this afternoon and try it - that looks interesting and i know the wife will go for it!!  Your cooking the dillas slow to get the insides cooking and melting - right?
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,595
    Did you treat the steel in some way?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,522
    Great cook!  I could see 'dilla's being done often around the house if they turned out like that!
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
    @Charlietuna Right. It Is the only way to have golden brown tortillas and melty inside.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739
    Great looking food. Awesome!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
    @henapple I just wiped some canola oil on it and fired the egg to 500 and set on in my spider.I let it stay on it for an hour or so. It turned from grey to black.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,592
    Looks great! Wish I had one of those right now for lunch.
    ·
    Do you take care of it like ci?
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't followed any of the "steel" threads.

How is doing it on a steel plate any better than doing it on a CI skillet.  Here, I'm doing shrimp quesadillas in a skillet.  Worked well.  

(Sorry Focker, I know it's not innovative and I probably stole the idea from the experts on your forum)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    Your ignorance is forgiven. One is cast iron and the other is steel. The same, only different. Why does it have to be your way all the time?
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    henapple said:
    Your ignorance is forgiven. One is cast iron and the other is steel. The same, only different. Why does it have to be your way all the time?
    That's it!  I'm outta here !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,417
    Today has been so much fun!
    ·
    edited May 2013
    @henapple I think so. @VillageIdiot Its not better. It reminds me of the flat top griddle in restaurants I have always wanted to have one...now I kinda do. :D
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·