Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Welding Gloves!

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but let's talk a minute about gloves.  Or Mitts or "Fireplace Gloves" or whathaveyou for getting hot things off the BGE.  I just bought a silicone "hybrid" mitt (Mastrad Orka Pro 11" combi mitt with silicone exterior and some kind of terry cloth liner) and a pair of Tillman "HighHeat 820" Welding gloves.  This was in response to singing all the hair off of my left arm and earning a couple of 2'nd degree "handling burns" from my new BGE.  After one evening's worth of comparitive testing, I can report that both models of glove work well, with the Tillman Gloves edging out the silicone mitt.  I deliberately used the mitt to move a 450 degree Wok around the direct flame grill with no ill effects for about a minute.  Then I used the Tillman gloves to remove the grill and insert the Platesetter, replace the grill and set the pizza stone in place (we were making grilled stuffed burrito's - eat yer heart out, Taco Bell!).   Once the thermometer got to 500F I opened the lid and turned the basket containing the burritos, using the Orka Pro Mitt.  I felt the heat on my hands but not to an uncomfortable degree.  The 'grippiness' of the Orka was a huge relief, as I have had unfortunate experiences in the past with this same set up and a regular oven pot-holder.  Then I closed the lid and let the BGE climb back up to about 600F.  After carefully 'burping' the top (something you forget to do exactly once), I used the Tillman Gloves to both flip the Burrito Basket and remove the  Pizza Stone.  Amazing!  No sense of heat build up in either case.  Who would have thought that a pair of leather and wool welding gloves would beat high-tech silicone?  Then, just to prove the point, I removed the grill and reached down into the pit and re-distributed the burning Lump.  Just to see if I could do it.  No heat, no worries.  My vote for high-heat gloves goes to the pair of Tillman "High Heat 820" gloves I bought from Central Welding Supply.

Comments