Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazy shrimp

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Wanted to do some fancy stuffed shrimp. Bought 15 jumbo and got home, got busy, got lazy. Peeled, opened, stuffed with Laughing Cow swiss cream cheese and candied jalapeños(thanks Mickey). Wrapped in bacon. Indirect till crispy. Really simple, really good. The jalapeños gave a sweet entrance with a small kick goodbye. My son and I hunkered over the egg table and scarfed. Bad pic... New camera soon.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I can smell them from here !  Nice !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    yum! wish my wife liked shrimp

XLBGE 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    MCN,

My wife likes shrimp and can eat a little, but she's more allergic to crab and lobster.  Breaks my heart.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Shrimp cooks too fast to be wrapped in bacon IMO.  Shrimp and other shellfish loose their taste when overcooked - it can be eaten raw without hurting you. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2013
    Options
    They look and sound great...as far as I'm concerned any time you stuff meat with anything and wrap it in bacon the cook falls squarely in the "fancy" category, not the lazy one :).  Lazy is tossing the shrimp on the grill.  Nothing wrong with that either though!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    Options
    Whenever Jake and I get the house to ourselves I try to fatten us up. The shrimp was a lunch snack before the ribs dinner. The people I like to see smiling while eating is my family. If you egg something and your family likes it.... That's all that matters.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    MCN,

My wife likes shrimp and can eat a little, but she's more allergic to crab and lobster.  Breaks my heart.
    One of my buddies told her the vein wasn't a blood vein and now she's all freaked out. Sorry to hear about your wife

XLBGE 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    One of my buddies told her the vein wasn't a blood vein and now she's all freaked out. Sorry to hear about your wife
    He's right.  The top "vein" is the digestive tract.  The bottom "vein" is the nerve.  I always devein the digestive tract.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    De-poop-chute just doesn't have a nice ring to it ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Looks great. Haven't found candied j's here in denver. What was your temp/time
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The candied jalapeños are supper, use almost everyday.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What count shrimp did you buy?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'll remember that when Jake and I are stuffing our faces... Especially when he says, "this is the best thing you've ever cooked". I'll think... Damn, tuna wouldn't approve.

Was thinking the same thing

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Sorry you disagree, but i call BS on anyone who can "NOT" overcook shrimp that is wrapped in bacon -- then --- cooked indirect until crisp!  The reason i mentioned it above was not to put you down, but in hopes that others do not attempt this, since shrimp is not the cheapest product to buy.  I have caught shrimp for a living and know full well how to cook it.  Many here attempt to "pre cook" bacon in their attempts to get it crisp without overcooking other products.  I come here to help others, not mislead them. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @henapple: sounds delicious! How did you "stuff" them with the Laughing Cow? Enquiring minds want to know.

As far as overcooking the shrimp if wrapped in bacon, many witnesses will attest that it is possible to get the bacon nice and tasty without overcooking the shrimp - just ask the folks who scarfed down @Foghorn 's little pineapple bacon shrimp thingys at Salado (I was one of them). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Sounds awesome!

When I did stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp last week they were cooked perfectly and the only bad thing was I didn't make enough so I only got three..

I need to get my hands on some candied jalapeños
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have not wrapped many things in bacon just mainly when doin abts or scallops. The bacon seriously retards the cooking time for both of these and I can only imagine it would do the same for shrimp.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fat is a wonderful heat insulator. Just ask your belly.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Looks great. Haven't found candied j's here in denver. What was your temp/time
    Try this recipe for candied j's, easy to do. I have a feeling you can buy the jalapeno's in Denver. Had some great Texmex in Denver.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    Options
    I think my temp was 350 dome, indirect. Cali, I sliced the shrimp and just squeezed some in. I did wrap the bacon length wise instead of around. Tuna, obviously others disagree with you. Pappasitto's sells 4 stuffed shrimp for $20 and it's worth it. It's not what you said just the way you said it.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    @henapple: sounds delicious! How did you "stuff" them with the Laughing Cow? Enquiring minds want to know.

As far as overcooking the shrimp if wrapped in bacon, many witnesses will attest that it is possible to get the bacon nice and tasty without overcooking the shrimp - just ask the folks who scarfed down @Foghorn 's little pineapple bacon shrimp thingys at Salado (I was one of them). 
    Charlie Tuna said the same thing about my shrimp dish.  I always just assumed that he has a more sophisticated "shrimp palate" - or just likes his shrimp a little different.  Some folks like their steak rare, other like it more cooked.  He's not right or wrong, it is just his preference.  My dad taught me to only eat steak that is well-done.  I've worked my way to medium throughout my adult life.  My shrimp palate may evolve as a result of Charlie's comments in a way that will allow me to appreciate shrimp on a different level than I do now.  Charlie, if that happens, I thank you in advance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i hate overcooked shrimp as well
    :)) :)) :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Gee....when I cook lazy shrimp, all I do is throw it in a grill pan with some simple seasoning. You lazy is more ambitious than mine. :D

I've cooked bacon wrapped shrimp before. I like to pre-cook the bacon a bit in the microwave a bit first. If wrapped correctly, I think that the bacon sort of protects the shrimp from the heat a bit as it cooks.

egger ave said:Had some great Texmex in Denver.

For some reason, that just don't sound right. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    @henaple, the candied jalapenos, are they like a sweet bread and butter pickled jalepino with more sugar in a jar with the vinegar solution. i would like to try making them next batch of pickled peppers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    Options
    It's like I tell my guys... I don't care if you drink the paint and piss it on the walls. I'm only interested in the final result.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    My brother owned one of the biggest seafood restaurants in Florida, and i used to substitute for the salad chef during his vacations and time off.  One of my "prep jobs" was cooking shrimp for cold platers.  I would cook ten five pound(defrosted) boxes of shrimp at a time.  The method of cooking was foolproof, but required full attention, and a variation of sixty seconds ment dumping $400. of shrimp in the garbage.  I go in restaurants all the time and find they don't know how to cook shrimp.  Shrimp are not supposed to be "rubbery" AT ALL, but tender like fish.  Same with a scallop or lobster.  In both of these products, as they are overcooked, the true taste quickly disappears.  I also managed a large seafood store, that had a commercial steamer for steaming customer's seafood orders.  Custom steamed orders kept us busy, it allowed customers to carry their orders home and serve them warm, but not overcooked.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

My brother owned one of the biggest seafood restaurants in Florida, and i used to substitute for the salad chef during his vacations and time off.  One of my "prep jobs" was cooking shrimp for cold platers.  I would cook ten five pound(defrosted) boxes of shrimp at a time.  The method of cooking was foolproof, but required full attention, and a variation of sixty seconds ment dumping $400. of shrimp in the garbage.  I go in restaurants all the time and find they don't know how to cook shrimp.  Shrimp are not supposed to be "rubbery" AT ALL, but tender like fish.  Same with a scallop or lobster.  In both of these products, as they are overcooked, the true taste quickly disappears.  I also managed a large seafood store, that had a commercial steamer for steaming customer's seafood orders.  Custom steamed orders kept us busy, it allowed customers to carry their orders home and serve them warm, but not overcooked.

That's impressive man.

What kind of toilet paper do you use? Just curious on your technique, cause I wipe butt for a living and thought I might could help you perfect it. Everyone has a specialty, yours is seafood, mine is butt wiping.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options

That's impressive man. What kind of toilet paper do you use? Just curious on your technique, cause I wipe butt for a living and thought I might could help you perfect it. Everyone has a specialty, yours is seafood, mine is butt wiping.
    That was funny right there.  Not sure if I want to "like" that statement, but it was funny!