Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Burned Gasket Prevention

Does anyone have any idears on how to prevent burning the gasket when the platesetter is in?  I have a Woo for the Large and I have tried with the woo(lifts it a little) and without the woo...everytime i burn the gasket off(Nomex High temp) This usually occurs for the pizza cooks so im curious if there is anything to prevent this.  Ive thought about taking out the fire ring and just placing the baking stone right above the coals..but there's seems that lack of air flow could be an issue..also another issue is reaching into the hot egg to get the pizza.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,516
    Get some bricks and lay them on the firering where the PS feet will sit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FockerFocker Posts: 1,592
    Install a Rutland gasket.
    "Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun.
     And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son."--Josh Thompson

Brandon
    Quad Cities

Or go commando. I just ordered rutlands cause my lump costs are through the roof.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,749
    I haven't seen the need yet. My gasket is toast. I did a 10 hour 275 cook plus a 2 hour 425 cook on Sunday and after the cool down I've still for lump for another cook.

After 10 hour smoke

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,779
    Burping also hurts the gasket if you allow small flashbacks ot occur.  Those little puffs of flame are hot and are not good for the gasket.  I open the vents, let some oxygen in and then open the lid.
    The Naked Whiz
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 84
    @ Naked Whiz,

First, I want to thank you for your informative website.  I don't know that I would have purchased a BGE (let alone a second) without the information you've provided.

I read the different gasket options on your site, and I've got to ask...what do you use?  I see pro's and con's to each.

Thanks in advance!
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,908
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,008
    I was against the Rutland at first because it hasn't been tested as food safe. After my 4th gasket in a year, I finally installed the Rutland. What a difference!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,779
    Wylecyot, I'm still using one of the old felt gaskets before the quality of them dropped.  When this one goes, I have a Kamado Joe gasket kit for BGE (long story, only available in Australia) that I'll use.  The gasket on my Kamado Joe seemed to really last.  Someday, I'll probably put a Rutland gasket on.
    The Naked Whiz
    Man you always have to pull things down to the lowest common denominator Travis

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Well, didn't take me long to fry the original gasket, then tried the Rutland.  Works pretty good, however I think I partially fried it during a hi-temp cleaning burn.  Whats remaining still seems to be adequate. 
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,600
    I am still trying to go commando but I can not get the lid to sit flush.  Loosened the bands and reset numerous times but still an air gap.  I burn up allot of lump because of this.  My other issue is if I am using the maverick it will make the gap worse meaning higher heat temps and smoke pouring out the sides.

Lump usage now - cooked at 350 with a full firebox for 3 hours and only have very little left.

What do I have to do?

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,048
    Are you putting in the plate setter legs down?  If so, another option is to go legs up, grid on top, then a pizza stone on the grid.  If you have something you can use to raise the pizza stone higher than grid level even better.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,611
    robnybbq said:
    I am still trying to go commando but I can not get the lid to sit flush.  Loosened the bands and reset numerous times but still an air gap.  I burn up allot of lump because of this.  My other issue is if I am using the maverick it will make the gap worse meaning higher heat temps and smoke pouring out the sides.

Lump usage now - cooked at 350 with a full firebox for 3 hours and only have very little left.

What do I have to do?
    The dome and base may not evenly sit. This was an issue with my medium. I had an 1/8" gap near the bands. You can try rotating the dome to see if it evens out, but you may just need to get a gasket.
  • fairchasefairchase Posts: 192
    +1 on the Rutland. Do it once and don't worry about it again.

Food safe ? Your eating steak, butts , or ribs every night , but your worried about the gasket being healthy ? Really ?
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 505
    I bought 2 6 ft rolls of Rutland gasket  and two tubes of cement for my large and mini BGE today. Cost was about $30.00.  One 6 ft roll did my large with about 10" left over. The mini used part of the second roll. Used a paint stripper pad and razor blade to clean the BGE and Xylene to degrease. About one hour to do both BGE's. I used a wet paper towel to clean up the excess cement and covered the tape with saran wrap and closed the domes while the cement sets. The kneaded the cement in the tube before I applied it. It was still a bit watery when I started to apply to apply it. Will give the smoke test tomorrow.

I also bought a piece of 9 ga expanded steel to make about 10 or 12 fire grates for less than $15.00. Its not stainless steel but this price I can replace it every 6 months.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • JimboBQJimboBQ Posts: 189
    I finally got around to my first cook after installing the Rutland gasket from RRP. Everything went so well that I decided to do a high temp egg cleaning. I am now a believer! No need to install it on the top and bottom. Just went with the bottom gasket only. No leaks at all! Thanks RRP!!!
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 large, 1 small AND a brand new mini!
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 505
    JimboBQ said:
    I finally got around to my first cook after installing the Rutland gasket from RRP. Everything went so well that I decided to do a high temp egg cleaning. I am now a believer! No need to install it on the top and bottom. Just went with the bottom gasket only. No leaks at all! Thanks RRP!!!
    same here, the rutland gasket on the bottom sealed perfectly today. Lowered the temp I was able to hold by about 50 degrees.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,697
    Do it once and be done, Rutland.
    Packerland, Wisconsin