Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Advice for stuffed burgers

Finally decided to try burgers on the EGG for the first time either tonight or tomorrow night....I've seen lots of discussion in various threads about burgers, but interested in advice/thoughts about how to make a great stuffed burger.  I was thinking about using a press and stuffing with mozzarella and tomato.  I like to grill burgers to medium, and I'm wondering how the stuffing affects temperature readings.  Any other advice/suggestion about how to make them great is appreciated.  Thanks....

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Kind of like stuffing pork tenderloin -- burgers cook fast, so anything requiring "being cooked" better be cooked "before" it goes inside.  Cheese is not problem, but veggies are going to be close to raw -- if you are shooting for a medium burger..
  • chris123stockchris123stock Posts: 664
    Charlie pretty much sumed it up. of couse you could cook them indirect then go direct for the final sear. just a thought. but at medium not much time to cook inside stuff. please tell how it goes
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    I sometimes do them with cheese and thinly sliced onion.  Make sure the edges are well sealed so the goodies don't ooze out.  Kinda like a Lucy burger from somewhere up north.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,195
    Doc is the Juicy Lucy "eggspert", well at least the only one I've seen pics of his burgers that did not look like the inside was alive and trying to escape like an Alien baby. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,086
    I think the tomato and mozz sounds pretty good.  I agree with the others, that you don't want something that needs to cook a long time; but 'mater doesn't need to cook long so I think it might work :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,408
    edited May 2013

I went through a phase a while back where I was doing them a lot. Tough to get medium rare. Better to buy fattier meat or freeze first

Two slices of provolone, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, little fishes, Bomba, red onion and torn basil. Forgot the capers and didn't have any procuitto.

On the medium with cast iron grid

Cooked, with toasted bun

First time I had a cut pic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,550
    Little Steven = Big Yum.

I need to give these a try.
    edited May 2013

I'm just copying old posts from the other forum here but you can do a ton of varieties

Two slices of provolone, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, little fishes, Bomba, red onion and torn basil. Forgot the capers and didn't have any procuito.

On the medium with cast iron grid

Cooked, with toasted bun

First time I had a cut pic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks great, very good combination of filling.

Last one, I promise

Can't help myself. Tonight it was Mexican style beef and turkey burgers.
    One beef
    One Turkey

Turkey isn't done yet. Will post if anybody is interested

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,865
    Dear Steven, my feelings can best be expressed by the musical group Jagged Edge. Here is a LINK 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Only if you show them to me. Do you love your country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwmIuuQZzU

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Damn - those look really good. If I can do half as well the first time out I'll be psyched. No time tonight, but hopefully tomorrow. @Little Steven - notice no burger press. Have you tried one? Just as easy to do without? Any tips for getting such a nice patty? Thanks all...
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,687
    I saute bellas, onions then put feta cheese in. Freezing the beef for a while sounds like a plan.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I've always froze my patties after stuffing in hopes of sealing them up better.   But I don't stuff them with all those goodies just cheese for me :)   
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 307
    I use a press that I got from Amazon. It works well. I have found that the colder the ground beef, the easier it is to handle and not stick in the press. I have also found that the cheese needs to be more chunky than grated. When it's grated, it just kinda disappears into the meat. Don't have any pictures, but will take some the next time I do burgers. I cook at 400 direct about 5 minutes per side. Here's the link to the press.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC