Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom of egg is cracked

Cleaned out the ash last weekend with a shop vac. After it was all cleaned out, I noticed a crack across the bottom of my egg. Should I be worried or let it ride? It is under warranty, but I just installed a Rutland and don't want to do it again if I get it replace under warranty.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'd go ahead and get the replacement at my house :)

XLBGE 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @MrCookingNurseI'm thinking the same thing. Just wanted to confirm others thoughts. The Rutland is cheap and easy to install.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I had the same thing happen (along with the fire ring and the fire box and platesetter and CI grid). I went ahead and processed the warranty claims, but I continue to cook on the cracked base (and other cracked components). I don't want to wait until my BGE is out of commission before I get my warranty replacements.
  • cortguitarman
    My dealer requires me to turn in the old parts that are being replaced when I pick up the new warranty parts.

I'm so glad the egg has a great warranty. I've cracked my fire ring, plate setter, and now my base in a year and a half.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've had one too and I inspect every time I clean them out. No issue with the warranty

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would be careful cooking on it when its cracked. The crack will widen as it gets hot. One of my bases had a tiny crack in it when it was cold but at 700 ash would fall through.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Have a cracked base as well... the crack widens when I get up to about 500 or so, no ash falling thru yet.

It is in the nest so I dont think there is a high risk of it splitting in two and falling since it's pretty tight in the nest...

I guess I should email BGE with the pictures and find out what do to next
  • cortguitarman
    Lit said:

I would be careful cooking on it when its cracked. The crack will widen as it gets hot. One of my bases had a tiny crack in it when it was cold but at 700 ash would fall through.

All I needed to hear. I'll be taking pics for a replacement this weekend.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    Mine is in my table on top of a paver.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My large has had a base crack for about a year and a half.  I use a Rutland as well and have just been riding it out with no ill effects.  It is however a good argument for installing your Rutland's on the dome.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Man, fires are absolutely not fun

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cortguitarman
    BOWHUNR said:

My large has had a base crack for about a year and a half.  I use a Rutland as well and have just been riding it out with no ill effects.  It is however a good argument for installing your Rutland's on the dome.

Mike

The good thing is that rutlands are cheap.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    I also use rutland...But a cracked bottom section is structural, I think it should be replaced ( warranty ) asap.   Just sayin, who wants a possible sudden failure? IMHO
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • micheggin
    micheggin Posts: 39
    cracked base on mine too.  not bad for about 9 years of year round cooking and michigan winters.  got the replacement base and firebox in the shed waiting for some free time to do the swap.  my local dealer (herman's boy in rockford, mi.) is really good about warranty issues.  

assembled my new medium on sunday afternoon.  have already done two cooks - pizza sunday eve and shrimp on skewers tonight...  really like the medium.  heats up quick and more room than i thought there would be.  i was able to purchase the new one at a nice discount after the "grillapalooza" event.  my wife and i did pizza's for sampling at the event.  was a lot of fun. https://www.facebook.com/hermansboyinc

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    This whole warranty sounds (and is) great, but why is so many parts busting and cracking??
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    My guess is because so many people use their eggs so often and live outside year around. Lots of temp changes and subject to the elements. Plus I don't think it's as many as it seems. Just think of all the people that own eggs and the limited number we read about probably a very small percentage actually have cracking issues.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I dont understand the having to bring in the broken part but oh well thats ok considering they give you a new one.  I just thought it would be nice to go ahead and get the back up handy.  But seeing as some say ash can fall through, looks like a bad hazard and good reason to change it out!!

good luck!

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    One reason might be so that their products don't get handed off to someone who then has a bad experience with faulty parts and creates a bad name for the company. Another option is they're a-holes. I'll vote for the first one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I just changed out my base last weekend after discovering the crack on Easter Sunday.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    ive had two crack, get a new base. its alot easier replacing the new gasket over replacing a burnt on stuck one, they pretty much peel right off with a heat gun
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I dont understand the having to bring in the broken part but oh well thats ok considering they give you a new one.  I just thought it would be nice to go ahead and get the back up handy.  But seeing as some say ash can fall through, looks like a bad hazard and good reason to change it out!!

good luck!
    I've never taken a part in for warranty replacement. A picture of the crack is fine.