Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newer BGE gaskets ??

Options
Hey all, just wondering how the newer BGE high temp gasket stacks up compared to the older wool-like one.I'm pretty sure its not comparable to the rutland but will it tolerate pizza cooks better than the older bge gasket?

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I will let you know on Friday!
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Sorry, I can't actually answer your question but I do have a question about your question.  Do all new Eggs come with the "high temp" gasket you are referring to?

Thanks!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    BGE sent me a replacement under warranty a couple of months ago.  It is their newer high temp gasket.  I would agree that it is a step up from the wool gasket that originally came with my XL, however it is nowhere near the durability of a Rutland or Nomex.

Living Large and XL

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My buddy has a new large with the new style gasket. He has done pizza 2 or 3 times so far and the gasket still looks new. Definitely a step up from the wool gaskets. Mine wool/felt gasket burned off on my second cook, so it is a step up. I think it is a nomes material. It is just grey instead of white.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I thought the new bge high temp gaskets were nomex....if not what are they made from???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    I have a new BGE gasket, too. I run some probe cables through it and it's already getting pitted after less than 2 months. At least I try to run the cables through the same general area to keep damage to a minimum. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I thought the new bge high temp gaskets were nomex....if not what are they made from???
    That's what I thought also.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have a box of Rutland that just arrived today. Gonna get some installed this weekend

Steve 

Caledon, ON