Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

The Baking Steel - Use on level ground - Pizza Fail

2»

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 6,964
    @Cowdogs: I think you are on to something. I tried some experiments with making naan on  steel - not the Baking Steel, but my own homebrewed version. At higher temps 650°F+ on the dome, i think heat transfer from the steel was too efficient and burned the bottom of the naan before the top could brown. when I cooled it down to about 500-550°F, it seemed to behave much better. One of the things I want to try is having the steel on top and the stone on the bottom, as you mentioned.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 645
    Interesting.  Maybe a stone directly on sand full to top in a wok and then the steel 2-3 inches above and cook very high?? 1000 degrees?

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • NEWB_IN_NOLANEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 124
    rtt121 said:
    Interesting.  Maybe a stone directly on sand full to top in a wok and then the steel 2-3 inches above and cook very high?? 1000 degrees?

Thats essentially what they did with the baking steel here using some non-BGE equipment:
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 645
    Okay.  This is the next attempt.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 488
    rtt121 said:
    Okay.  This is the next attempt.
    If it works, then I will regret not buying the steel...  Keep us posted.  

The egg can make the right amount of heat to do the real thing, but getting a setup to to direct the heat evenly to the top and bottom is what's been challenging for me.   
    ·