Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Steven, I'll see your double PS and raise you one PS.

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
Who is ready to bake some naan? One XL ps, one LG ps and one MED ps. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• travisstrick
    Or was it fishlessman? I dont remember. Either way, I win. 
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Hell yes you do! You'll be able to use the top vent as a drink holder now. Put a straw in it and wah-lah! World's Biggest Coozy. 
    The world's most expensive coffee warmer
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

With a smoke flavor

=))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• travisstrick
    The lid still closes. I'm going to try it out tonight. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    high in the dome taken to the ridiculous.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Careful - the naan may end up outside the top vent once you're done :) looking forward to the results.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You should just get the egg really hot then stick nann to the top of the outside of the dome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Woah!! And I thought I got high with two!

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Can you close the dome? How did the bread turn out?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    The naan sucked. I didnt let it rise long enough, the egg didnt get hot enough and it was a little too thick. 

I ended up adding a 18" stone on top just couse I could. 

imageimage
  • Little Steven
    I don't think Indians use yeast. Not sure but I'll check at lunch tomorrow. Looks good! When I was doing them I was sticking the shop vac hose on the outlet and jamming it in the lower vent.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    edited May 2013
    Is this lady Indian enough for you? LINK    I use her for most of my Indian recipes. 

I did use the shop vac but I didnt clean the egg out and I dont think I had enough lump. 
  • Little Steven

I didn't use yeast. Wife got the recipe somewhere. I don't bake cause I can't follow recipes. You need a sh!tload of lump. Don't worry about the ash cause the shop vac will blow it out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Thats some redneck engineering right there. Looks very interesting.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Third pic is cool
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2013
    They don't look too bad, IMO. A bit like pita pockets, but I'd still eat them . I know that you know what naans are suppose to be like, so you're probably being your own worst critic :)

@Little Steven has a point about the yeast. Most of the naan recipes on the internet are Westernized, extrapolated from pizza dough recipes. Yeast is not a part of traditional baking in Southwest Asia or thereabouts. If you are a fan of Manjula's Kitchen (which I am), you'll notice that she's in a Western kitchen, so she's adapted her cooking somewhat. She has some awesome recipes, BTW. My fav naans in Houston are not made with yeast. Traditionally yogurt has been used for leavening things like naan or bhatura in India. yeast is not readily available in India, so many recipes use baking powder.  

Also for some great Pakistani recipes, google Bajias Cooking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Most of the naan recipes on the internet are Westernized

Stupid Americans...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Looks like a cross between Indian nan and Mexican puffy taco. You may have created a new food.
    Honestly, i dont remember either Asha or Pusba using yeast when they made naan for the lab. I think i may have their recipes somewhere in my cookbook. If i can find it i will shoot it over to you.

I am not sure they used wheat based flour either. Montgomery county had a wealth of Indian stores or someone was always going back to India bringing spices and other goodies they could not get in Maryland. (Us Texans did same thing. Always went home with a chili-to-bring back list.)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks like a cross between Indian nan and Mexican puffy taco. You may have created a new food. Honestly, i dont remember either Asha or Pusba using yeast when they made naan for the lab. I think i may have their recipes somewhere in my cookbook. If i can find it i will shoot it over to you.
    I am not sure they used wheat based flour either. Montgomery county had a wealth of Indian stores or someone was always going back to India bringing spices and other goodies they could not get in Maryland. (Us Texans did same thing. Always went home with a chili-to-bring back list.)
    Montgomery County has a wealth of every kind of store! Gotta love Silver Spring.