Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How far would you drive for lump?

Since Ace has stopped carrying WGWW I'm left with Royal Oak or BGE and maybe Primo (which has good reviews) as local options.  I can drive 100mi (round trip) to get WGWW and it's a fun drive but man that seems like a lot!  I know there are other options via the web but shipping costs make that prohibitive.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    About 5 miles. Sorry, I've got plenty of place near me that carry lump. Sucks that you lost your supplier.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I can walk(about 1 mile) to Wegmans to get RO(Wegman's store brand). It does everything I need it to do exceedingly well for $0.62/lb. No contest for me. Usually I just grab a few bags when I go grocery shopping. I want to try others, but I have no "burning desire" to.  ;)
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    First of all, make it worth my while!!  I have a Rest. Depot 63 miles away where the lump is under a dollar a pound which i take advantage of IF(?) i'm going that way, otherwise it's the local Walmart where it costs me about $1.33/pound.  Either way, i maintain at least a three month supply near my cooking area.  My local Ace Store doesn't like to sell lump, i can tell by their price!
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    I hate driving more than 30 miles round trip to buy lump.  But I'm usually in town anyway for work or grocery shopping, so it's not a big deal for me.  I cringe at the thought of someone driving 100 miles round trip just to get lump.  The cost per pound would sky-rocket once you considered the amount of gas it would take to make that trip.  Hopefully you can turn that into a fun day trip with family or friends.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    in the past ive driven that far but i was picking up 3 big pallets worth at a trucking facility and it was cheap.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I've gone 50 miles round trip for Wicked Good (at $24/bag) but it was to try it out based on all the good reviews and I made a day trip to do something with my daughter as well.   

I wouldn't do that again unless I'm in the area.  I have 2 bags of WGWW left that I'll keep for low and slows - right now I'm stocking up on Basque Maple Charcoal at Costco for $13.89/8kg ($0.78/lb). 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I wouldn't go out of my way. I now looks for lump sources while traveling. My Walmart always has a few bags of RO and I buy them out when I'm there.

There's a ton of great lump within 60-75 miles from me, but I'm not driving just for lump. I've I don't have any source, I do like fishlessman said and drive and stock pile.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If I wasn't lazy I could walk to atleast 5 places and get different lump from each. That sucks Ace stopped carrying wicked good but I see on their website they have Cowboy 20 pound bags on sale for $11.99. Cowboy isn't the best but I just got 5 17 pound bags of royal oak from restaurant depot just cause its so cheap but I prefer Cowboy over royal oak any day.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I feel like a dope for admitting this, but we drive 123 miles round trip, some of it through deadly slow city traffic. Fred in Shillington, PA, carries a brand that we really like and can't get anywhere else. He also has tons of rubs, sauces and accessaries. My husband and I don't mind the trip. We pick up six bags at a time.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    My local Ace is now carrying Kamado Joe Lump.  I picked up a bag at another store and so far I have been pretty happy with it. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    First of all, make it worth my while!!  I have a Rest. Depot 63 miles away where the lump is under a dollar a pound which i take advantage of IF(?) i'm going that way, otherwise it's the local Walmart where it costs me about $1.33/pound.  Either way, i maintain at least a three month supply near my cooking area.  My local Ace Store doesn't like to sell lump, i can tell by their price!

Wicked Good isn't too interested in selling lump either. They don't seem concerned about not selling through Ace anymore, and you should see how much they want to charge for shipping from the WG site :-O

I would maybe drive 90mins roundtrip. There's decent lump available at a number of places around me. I like WGWW alot, but I'm not spending that much in gas money to go get it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Since Ace has stopped carrying WGWW I'm left with Royal Oak or BGE and maybe Primo (which has good reviews) as local options.  I can drive 100mi (round trip) to get WGWW and it's a fun drive but man that seems like a lot!  I know there are other options via the web but shipping costs make that prohibitive.  Any thoughts?

Where do you live?  I can't get WGWW where I live in Virginia, so I order it directly from Wicked Good in Maine. www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com  $70 for three 22 lbs bags.  Probably marginially more then ACE sells it for, but still competitive, and its by far better lump then anything else I can get in Hampton Roads.  Best of luck.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My Sam's Club has "Best Of The West", twenty pound bag for $11.79, but it is junk!!  Made from six inch tree limbs and trash, some of which refused to burn?  Of course my dealer has Green Egg for $25.00 per twenty pound bag.  The closest Ace Hardware doesn't carry any lump nor knows what it is??  I would like to buy from a local store over Walmart, regaurdless of price, but i have no choice.
  • Eggcelsior
    Since Ace has stopped carrying WGWW I'm left with Royal Oak or BGE and maybe Primo (which has good reviews) as local options.  I can drive 100mi (round trip) to get WGWW and it's a fun drive but man that seems like a lot!  I know there are other options via the web but shipping costs make that prohibitive.  Any thoughts?

Where do you live?  I can't get WGWW where I live in Virginia, so I order it directly from Wicked Good in Maine. www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com  $70 for three 22 lbs bags.  Probably marginially more then ACE sells it for, but still competitive, and its by far better lump then anything else I can get in Hampton Roads.  Best of luck.
    I still don't understand how you get this deal! I live over 100 miles closer to WGC than you do but it would cost me double what you pay due to shipping. It must be a distributor thing.
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:

Wicked Good isn't too interested in selling lump either. They don't seem concerned about not selling through Ace anymore, and you should see how much they want to charge for shipping from the WG site :-O

I would maybe drive 90mins roundtrip. There's decent lump available at a number of places around me. I like WGWW alot, but I'm not spending that much in gas money to go get it.

@caliking, I have personally spoken with WGC. They are currently negotiating with Ace to carry their lump again.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I picked up some Wicked Good about 20 miles from home this weekend.. It was at 1 of the 2 Ace hardwares in the area and the only one that carries it. 

I've been using B&B Hickory (green bag) alot lately b/c Academy carries it and is 5 minutes from my house.

If Wicked Good turns out as I expect it to, I'll probably be making that 40 mile trip more often.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Eggcelsior: I emailed WG recently and was basically instructed to drive 2 hrs, 6hrs, or 8hrs roundtrip to buy some. No mention of reconnecting with Ace, but that they would let me know if they were retailing in the Houston area again. I'll be spending my money on B&B instead, since Academy is 5mins away. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Hmmm... I wonder if negotiations fell through.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

I still don't understand how you get this deal! I live over 100 miles closer to WGC than you do but it would cost me double what you pay due to shipping. It must be a distributor thing.

I get this same deal direct from WG in NC. Delivered FedEx to my front door.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    My Sam's Club has "Best Of The West", twenty pound bag for $11.79, but it is junk!!  Made from six inch tree limbs and trash, some of which refused to burn?  Of course my dealer has Green Egg for $25.00 per twenty pound bag.  The closest Ace Hardware doesn't carry any lump nor knows what it is??  I would like to buy from a local store over Walmart, regaurdless of price, but i have no choice.
    I was wondering how best of the west was.  I saw at walmart tonight they has a few bags of two different kinds of it.  One felt like nothing but little pieces and dust, it was like 4$ for 8.8lbs and the other was more expensive that RO and felt like a bag full of nice pieces but it was only a 5 lb bag and was 7$ i think

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Or you could buy a bunch of PBR and have me deliver oo.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I'm sure PBR is more scarce in some parts of the country than WGWW :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Great... Now I'm delivering Ozark and pbr.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Henapple, I now have PBR stocked. Just in case.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator

Cali, how do you like B&b? Academy has B&B premium oak and another one which I think say just hardwood lump. Can you give me some feedback?

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    Aviator said:

Cali, how do you like B&b? Academy has B&B premium oak and another one which I think say just hardwood lump. Can you give me some feedback?

How'd you like the Ozark?
  •  Eggcelsior said:

Not sure how they're getting that deal either, I just plugged in my information and for 3 bags (@$13.50ea) it would cost $44.59 in shipping, doubling the price and actually costing MORE than the lump itself :(

And I live in Tampa, no real reason to drive out towards Lakeland, so I'd have to make a conscience decision to drive all that way.

• Aviator
    henapple said:

How'd you like the Ozark?
    Absolutely wonderful. If I can get it, it will replace WGWW as my stash.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    @Aviator... If i can arrange it coming home from tx I'm going to try to get around 200 bags. Maybe we can meet halfway, have a cocktail and get you some Ozark.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    @henapple When are you usually coming around houston area? Never tried ozark but would be interested to try it.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts