Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

band alignment...a tad nervous

Options
I replaced the gasket on my large this weekend.  It went pretty smoothly. I removed the dome.  I did not take the bottom band off.  When I re-tightened the top band, I was able to get it nice and tight and centered but...the band is closer to the top near the handle/front of the dome and closer to the bottom at the rear.  Everything seems tight but I'm wondering if I am totally misaligned and need to work on the bottom band too.  I would appreciate a double check and to see if anyone else experienced the same issue on a replacement.  Here are some pics:

imageimage

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    When I replace a gasket, I take the bands off, both of them with the hinge as one unit. Lock the hinge. Once new gasket is on, replace the bands, drop the dome on, center it and hold it in place while you snug the bands. keep downward pressure on the dome and keep it aligned. Once the bands have some tension they can be positioned and set. Torque to 10#ft and try a dollar bill test. If it has a gap loosen them and try again. 
    I do not think the egg is that precisely engineered that the bands align completely straight all the time. It is more important the dome and base meet evenly. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have a aliegnment problem with my egg right now.  Replaced my gasket two years ago and adjusted the bands to assure proper closure.  Over time my top band loosened up, allowing the back, or the hinge edge to drop down.  This causes a "grinding" action on the gasket in the hinge area -- about a five inch section of my gasket is shot!!  The heating and cooling of the egg causes the bands to loosen up due to expansion and contraction of the ceramic dome.  I guess the only solution is a quarterly check of tightness on the band bolts.....