Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco USDA prime steaks

Options
2»

Comments

• fiercetimbo17
    Options
    Lfgenergy, what Costco do you go to? I live in Dallas but I don't remember my local Costco having prime
  • freddh
    freddh Posts: 2
    Options
    Mother's Day 2013 - Prime Ribeye for two. Costco sells Prime beef with a passion now - price for a sub primal is $8.49 lb. The number one store for prime sales is the Silverdale, Washington store which also carries prime Tri-Tip. I dry age via the UMAi Dry Bag for 45 days. And of course cook all on the BGE!
    Doc
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    OMG, Please hide this from Fred. He is gonna be furious. ;)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The Alpharetta Georgia costco stocks prime rib eyes, filets, strips, and sirloins. They don't always have all 4 but they usually do.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Lfgenergy, what Costco do you go to? I live in Dallas but I don't remember my local Costco having prime
    I go to the one on the Tollway and Park in Plano. They always have great cuts of meat. Some of the prettiest filets I have ever grilled came from there.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I can't seem to "attach a file" to show you a picture, but I regularly buy the Costco "sub-primal" boneless prime grade ribeye. It is usually around 17lbs and costs around $180. ($11/lb). I then dry age it before trimming and cutting into steaks. I get about 12 steaks out of it, (cost now $15/steak at around 16oz per steak). I was using the dry age bags, but am now just putting them naked in the fridge around 30 to 45 days. +1 on the recommendation on Costco's Filet's. If you can get them near you, I recommend you try them.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options

The Costco in Frisco (Tollway and Eldorado) also has prime most of the time.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    @raymont

Do you freeze any of the 12 steaks or fire them off after you cut them?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • freddh
    freddh Posts: 2
    Options
    For me when I process I do vacuum seal each steak and label. What I wasn't clear on in my previous was that I cut the entire sub-primal into 3" steaks - Prime ribeye for Two. This way, for the two of us, we can have rime rib anytime with the appropriate leftovers without having to cook a 6-7# piece. I can't post photos either so if you want to see the process from start to finish go to the Dry Bag Forum http://www.drybagsteak.com/forum/recent.
    Doc
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    @rtt121 - Yes, I vacuum seal each steak and freez after I cut them.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN