Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke question!

Options
Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Please do your best to describe the difference in Hickory, Pecan and Mesquite smoke flavor profiles?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I'm not good at describing things like that in writing.  here is a chart that is semi useful(some of the woods i would never bother with).  its fairly accurate but like all things take it with a grain of salt. 

HERE it is.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I've been wondering something similar; everything the same, protein, time, cooking setup, etc. could most people tell the difference between the type of wood used, save for mesquite.  I doubt most people would have the palate to tell the difference.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    hickory pecan and guava have the same flavor profile so if you know what hickory tastes like then pecan is similar but lighter in flavor and guava is even lighter. mesquite is very strong, almost sweet but bitter at the same time for me. fruit woods are sweeter. most cooks i use hickory/pecan/guava as a base, then add a fruit would or a touch of mesquite
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    To me, Hickory and Pecan are very similar, with Hickory being stronger. If anything Hickory can be a little on the bitter side, while my limited experience with pecan is that is much sweeter. I also note a darker smoke color on chicken and turkey, the one I've done, with pecan. Hickory works for me with everything, Pecan for milder meats, pork tenderloin, poultry and fish. (Only one bag ever used as Apple is my go to)
    Mesquite I often call grease wood. It is very strong and quite distinct. Great with burgers and sausage, and any strong meat (most steaks), prefer the aroma to the taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Pecan = mellow

Hickory = strong

Mesquite = very strong

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    How is peach?

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    How is peach?

I've heard peach is excellent. Sweet and mild. Thats all Myron Mixon uses in his competitions.  He is of course from GA, so its pretty abundunt down there.  Never seen it for sale here in VA.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I'm not good at describing things like that in writing.  here is a chart that is semi useful(some of the woods i would never bother with).  its fairly accurate but like all things take it with a grain of salt. 

HERE it is.
    The chart says "DO NOT USE CEDAR."  :-?  You know how I know whoever wrote the chart doesn't like fish? :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    How is peach?

peach is good, not real strong, like most fruit wood, hada sweet taste to it. I just got 10 lbs, it smoks like crazy though. i got 5.5 splits, imay cut some down. I love it
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

U_tarded said:

HERE it is.

The chart says "DO NOT USE CEDAR."  :-?  You know how I know whoever wrote the chart doesn't like fish? :)

Hahaha didn't look at the woods I knew when I found it. That's why I put the warning on there.

My favorite is by whiskey barrel, food it goes good with is------ nice. But I can't complain when using someone else's work.