Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Knives

EGC71EGC71 Posts: 28
Can anyone speak on the quality of J.A. Henckels knives? I saw a 10 piece block set at Costco yesterday and I'm thinking about purchasing it if it's worth the $160.

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 4,096
    I wouldn't buy a set. There's really only a couple knives you need. A 8-10" chef knife and a petty knife will do 95% of any prep work. There are numerous threads on the forum if you check about what knives to get.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,359

Henkels are OK but they have to be the two twin ones. The single twin are lousy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,583
    All I use is a chefs knife, santoku, and occasionally a paring. A lot of chefs only use a chef. Learn to use the tip for fine cuts and the blade for chopping. A lot more efficient. Get a decent chef knife and save rest for food or lump
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    I own a set of henckles pro s. I would never buy a set again. I only use two of them.

I'm in the middle of baking naan but when I'm finished I'll bore you with my philosophy on kitchen knives more fully.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,359
    I own a set of henckles pro s. I would never buy a set again. I only use two of them. I'm in the middle of baking naan but when I'm finished I'll bore you with my philosophy on kitchen knives more fully.
    Don't worry about it. We aren't really all that interested

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    Agreed, my first set was Henckels. They were okay but I'll never buy a set again. Get the knives you need/want, and mix and match your brands for a diverse cooking experience. BTW, I much prefer my Wusthof to my Henckels as far as German steel....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,538
    Check out chefknivestogo.com and look at their forum.

Look at what you like to cook/chop to determine what to get.
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 2,075
    Hecklels makes several grades of knives. The top of the line would be over $100 for one large knife. Their best are JA Zwilling or something llike that. Do yourself a favor and buy them individual as suggested.
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 692
    I bought (as a sales rep) a set of Cutco 36 yrs ago.  I have sent just a couple of them back (just a few years ago) to put a new edge on them.  I had 2 serving utensils where the handles got broken and they replaced them.  They have a true lifetime warranty.  The bread slicer is still very sharp and that is one I have not had resharpened. I can still take a regular piece of wonder bread and slice it another 4 times without mangling the slice. I have not seen any other  knife able to do that... especially after 36 years of use.