Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Salmon

Much like @Jamieoro's post about Mother's Day Salmon, also cooked two large 2 lb salmon filets this weekend.  One with Dizzy Pigs Raging River, one with a dill/adler smoked salt mixture.  Cooked each filet at 500F (dome temp) for between 5-8 minutes, pulled from BGE and let it rest.  Perfectly done, any type of pink is not an option unless it is wrapped around seaweed.  

Pics and dill/salt rub follows.  

Smoked Dill Salt Rub

2 TBSP of dried dill leaves
1 TBSP of adler smoked salt (purchased at Christmastime, still have over half left; it is my go to spice for fish, with Raging River as a close second)

Grind both spices together in a mortar/pestle.  Liberally coat the filet (skin on or off, no never mind) with grapeseed oil as EVOO can be strong, grapeseed does the job at a high smoke point with little to no flavor.  Lightly apply the rub.  This is not a blackened fish as there is really no heat and the smoked salt can be overpowering (first time I used way too much and had to eat the whole filet myself, family wouldn't eat it).

Ate the Raging River day of, packaged the Smoked Salt Filet in a foodsaver bag.  Refrigerate for up to three days; drop the cold filet (still in the bag) in a large pot of boiling water for 3 minutes, open and serve.  

Bon appetit!
·

Comments

• JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    Nice cook. Raging River is my favorite DP rub.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,530
    Looks and sounds great!  That food-saved piece is gonna make for primo leftovers! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,434
    Look's great! Have you tried this one? DP has a recipe on there web site called Raging River Maple/Butter Crusted Salmom? Damn good.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,222
    I have a 1lb salmon filet planked right now. Love salmon.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @SmokeyPitt - this foodsaver makes it so easy to have homecooked meals when kids activities are all afternoon.  

Thanks @RAC - I will have to check that out.  I bet I could infuse maple syrup in the butter to make it even better.  

@Chubbs - are you cooking it on the mini
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,404
    Mmmm....looks tasty!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    You got my attention.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Mickey - we ate the last of it tonight for dinner.  The foodsaver kept it for four days, it was more fishy than the night of cook - but still fantastic for me and the Queen on a mixed green salad.  The only thing that I am a bit frustrated with is that COSTCO takes the skin off all salmon filets - we like to go there due to price - but I think skin "on" gives a better flavor.  
    Hope all is well with you and yours.....
    ·