Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick Cut Rib-Eyes

Options
I'm a long-time listener & a first time caller.  I've had my egg for about 18 months, and it's changed the way we eat and think about food...best purchase, hands down, our family has ever made.  

Based on all the great food we've cooked on the egg, we were nominated to host Mothers' Day lunch at our house.  We plan on keeping the egg busy for most of the day....with thick cut rib-eyes (approximately 2 inches thick) on tap for the main course.  I need some help in getting the timing down for the rib-eyes using the T-Rex method.  We normally cook filets, but I've never done rib-eyes (on the egg)...and I'm a little nervous about screwing this up.

I'm very familiar with "cooking to temp", but I'd just like a ball park estimate to make sure we get everything finished at about the same time.  I plan on searing them for 90 seconds per side at ~700 then putting them back on ~425.  Any suggestions on approximately how long they should go per side @ 425 to get to medium?  Also, should I plan for them to rise the same amount (~5 degrees) prior to serving?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I was bringing the rib eyes to a family gathering, and i bought some 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick cuts!!  Big mistake!  Too much meat!!  It didn't go to waste, but there wasn't the first person who could eat that much meat.  We had steak sandwiches the next afternoon and steak again the next night.  Sear it like you intended and then raise the grid up to gasket level around 400 degrees and start checking internal temperatures -- if you don't have a eay to do this -- find one.  Ten internal degrees can screw up a steak....
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

Ok...I'd go 120 seconds per side on the sear... if they are 2".

(30 seconds per .5" is a good rule of thumb).

At 425....(depending on how close to the coals you are)...start with 5-6 minutes per side...and go from there.

I'd count on at least 5 degree rise (if not a bit more)  in the rest phase! The thicker you cut'em...the more heat they'le hold!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • claybrn
    claybrn Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you guys for your help/feedback.  We ended up cooking 10 rib eyes to varying temps and everything came out perfect!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Good Job.  I also did ribeyes for a Mothers Day cook I hosted for my ladies.  Six ribeyes in total on my XL.  It was a task, but making sure that each steak got to each guests specific doneness kept me very attentive.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    For really thick steaks, I think you're better off cooking at reasonably low temps and reverse searing when they reach about 110F.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    My wife and I typically will split a 1.5-2" rib-eye as we did on Mother's Day.  The kids had other plans, so it was just the two of us.  600 at ~4-4.5 min/side rare-approaching medium. Rest for 5.  YYYYUUUUMMMMMM!!!!!

and for Mother's Day dinner - left-over Pulled Pork sandwiches (from Saturday).

Nothing like a piled-high PPBBQ with a BIG spoonful of Creamy Southern-style cole slaw on the sandwich!!! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    We've learned to split them also. I hate thin steaks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Well, I'm also for the "reverse sear" method, especially on thicker cuts.  IMHO its just easier to cook almost to donenesss temp, and then fast sear for taste, texture...
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)