Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mother's Day smoked salmon 2 ways

Hosted my first Mother's Day Linner today! Smoked 3 lbs of salmon. Dry brine overnight. Washed brine off and let air dry in fridge for a few hours. Smoked with alder chips for about 2 hours. Dome temp around 180 to internal temp if 150. Turned out awesome. Served as an Hors d'oeuvre on a bagel chip with cream cheese, capers, and chives. For Linner served a smoked salmon pasta salad. All were a big hit. Check em out. Oh, and don't forget to admire my new pink Thermapen that my husband got me for Mother's Day!!!

Comments

• The pasta salad looks delicious, could you please share what's in the salad.  Congrats on the thermopen and Happy belated Mother's Day.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2013
    Egggggggcellent!  Very creative- both dishes sound great.  

The pink thermapen is nice, but it is not as fast as green. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Great cook and post.  Have you ever cold smoked a salmon?  Thinking about this very very soon....

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Sure! The recipe is a whole foods recipe. I found some really cool and tasty hand rolled pasta at whole foods that I used instead of penne. Also left the olives on the side because I'm not a fan.

@smokeypitt- I actually got my dad the green Thermapen and the pink was faster :)

Whole foods recipe
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup expeller pressed walnut oil
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1 medium shallot, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 pound dried whole wheat penne pasta
    4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into bite-size pieces
    1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and choppedl
    1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
    1 cup packed baby spinach, chopped
    Cherry tomatoes
    2 tablespoons capers, drained
    2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
    1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Method:
    Put oils, vinegar, shallots, garlic, mustard, basil, and salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk to make a dressing. Set aside.
    Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Add salmon, artichoke hearts, olives, spinach, capers, chives, parsley and Parmesan, pour on remaining dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Both the appetizer and the pasta salad look and saound amazing. Nice job. I planked some salmlon for my mom, but it was done on their gasser and I didn't take any pictures.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jamieoro
    @milesbrown4- never cold smoked salmon. Didn't think you could do that on the egg, but could be mistaken. I thought cold smoke was at 90 degrees or so? Let me know if you try it!
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @jamieoro - I plan to smoke it with the amazen smoker.  Same way I do cheese.  I will definitely post that one!  Thanks.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    =P~   WOW!!!  Oh My Goodness....  I must try that pasta!  My wife is going to love that recipe!  Thanks in advance for the future brownie points!!  :D 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    I've been wanting to try smoking some salmon - do you happen to know which kind you had? It looks great. I've grilled it on a cedar plank but haven't tried smoking it.
  • Jamieoro
    @ddegger. It was costco salmon. Farm raised I believe
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    @Jamieoro - Awesome - thanks, look forward to trying it.  If you get the chance, I suggest trying the cedar plank approach (oil and preheat the plank and then grill to desired temp - medium rare for us - and season with some oil, lemon, and pepper.  Very good.