Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Have any of you ever??

BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,433
Put four 7-8 pound pork butts on a large?  What was your set up?  Thanks in advance.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
·

Comments

• GK59GK59 Posts: 488
    Just pile them in. I did 3 almost 9#ers last year.  It takes about the same time as one once it gets going. Just make sure you fill with enough lump( into the second ring).

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,971
    Do you have a two tier set up? I've seen ppl cram more than that on a large easy.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,976
    I have seen pics where people put two butts on, then simply rested an extra grid on top of the butts and placed more on top. 

I think I would at least use some balls of foil or something like that to try to create a little gap between the bottom butts and the rack. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Here the setup for four and plenty of room for MORE!  These are 8 to 9 pounders. I one time squeezed seven butts on the large - had to stand them on end.. As they shrunk, they stopped touching one another!!
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    edited May 2013
    Did the Butts on top cook quicker? Did you rotate them halfway through the cook?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I've done 3 ten pounders all on single level. Just make sure to check temp of each. Every hunk of meat cooks different. Don't be surprised if a smaller one takes longer than a big one.
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I do 4 butts on my large all the time on 1 rack. I set them up by standing them on the bone side. I need to keep the money musle in tack and in good shape. It doesn't take any longer than doing 2.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    These butts were turbo cooked:  Smoked until the internal was 160 degrees, then wrapped in foil until finished at 210 degrees. 
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,433
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·