Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time wings. Suggestions?

acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
It is 8:45 AM (West coast... USA time.) 

I'm about a month in with the BGE.... still a newbie compared to most here.

I bought 10 (full) chicken wings yesterday and would like to try them on the BGE. 

I usually broil them in the stove (pretty close to the flame) after brushing on a mixture of Worcestershire sause and a few drops of tabasco and then sprinkling with kosher salt, garlic salt, pepper and paprika for color. I cook for about 30 mins, turning twice. 

How do I do wings? Direct? Raised direct? Platesetter-indirect? For how long? What temp?

What is a good (EASY!) coating or marinate or brush-on? I won't cook until 5 PM so I have some time. Like in the past, I know I can count on some of you experienced cooks to help me. 

Thanks.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Sit back, you are going to get a ton of responses on this one. So many ways to do it. I've done direct and indirect. Nowadays, I would say direct, raised grate around 400. Get them as high up as you can to help crisp them. Should take 20-30 minutes or so. If you like the taste from your old method, stick to it. I usually just sprinkle a bbq rub on them with a light dusting of cornstarch to help with get them crispier. Another tip, take them out of the package as soon as possible, like right now, and let them air dry in the fridge. Also helps crisp them.

Some people don't like to do them indirect. The fat can drip off causing a lot of smoke that some people find undesireable. If that sounds like you, place setter legs up, drip pan or aluminum foil to catch drippings and then the grate. Again, cook at 400 for about 30 mintues.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I'm doing Necessary Indulgence's Sweet and Spicy Sticky Wings.  They're marinating now.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I go indirect at 300. Cook for a hour turning once at 45 min. I use a mild honey rub or DP raging river. I like franks red hot sauce, but I toss them in a bowl of sauce at the end and plate. I have done the spicy sticky wings as well and they are awesome, but require a little planning and prep. Have fun, the egg'd wings are great and easy.
  • The wife and I love this recipe for wings. We never do it any other way!

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • acegg77
    Thanks for the help. I like the taste of how I cook in the stove, but I thought I'd try something a bit different... maybe do the same prep but also add a light coating of bbq sause before putting them on the grill. I am not looking for sticky results today... I feel like a more dry, crispy result for my first try at wings. I thought that a light coat of sauce would add some flavor without making them gooey? 

So 400, raised direct for about 30 mins? I thought it would take longer. Thighs and breasts do... but then again they have more meat than wings. I'm glad they don't take too long as I won't get home until 5 PM and we want to eat at 6. 

I liked the DP recipe above... but don't have the stuff and am too lazy to run to the store. I'll try it next time. 

BTW, a few weeks ago my BGE dealer sold me Mansmith low-sodium poultry seasoning. Is that similar to Dizzy Pig's (which he also carries?) 

I'm going take out the wings from the fridge now,  wash and dry and put them back in. Thanks for the tip.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    At 400 raised direct I cook mine about 20 minutes per side.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • acegg77
    Do you start with skin down or skin up?

I'm surprised you have to turn them. I don't turn thighs or breasts and they turn out fine, raised direct. But I don't know anything about doing wings... and I appreciate all the help so far.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I go skin up first but it probably doesn't make any difference.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Just finished Kristi's Sweet & Spicy Sticky Wings.  My mouth still has that mild numb sensation.  Fantastic !  Thanks !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• acegg77
    edited May 2013
    I decided to cook early since I have to run out at 3:30. I left them on for 30 mins., 400, raised direct... some are rather burned (like black on the wing tips) We'll see how they taste when we have them for dinner. (Put them on a platter and covered with foil.)

I set the oven timer for 30 mins and then got tied up on the phone. I should have checked them after 20 mins. At least the drumette part of the wing looks ok... not sure about the middle piece... the tips are a total disaster. 

Next time I'll use the platesetter. 

It's my first cooking failure with the BGE... but it does not look like a total failure as a couple of them on cooler parts of the fire may be OK. 

I wonder if the temp gage on the egg is accurate. Maybe 400 is really 500 or higher? 

Oh well, we can always call in for a pizza! And the wings were only $5... it's not like I killed a $30 tri-tip... and have to face the wrath of my first, current, and very expensive wife!

• acegg77 said:
    I decided to cook early since I have to run out at 3:30. I left them on for 30 mins., 400, raised direct... some are rather burned (like black on the wing tips) We'll see how they taste when we have them for dinner. (Put them on a platter and covered with foil.)

I set the oven timer for 30 mins and then got tied up on the phone. I should have checked them after 20 mins. At least the drumette part of the wing looks ok... not sure about the middle piece... the tips are a total disaster. 

Next time I'll use the platesetter. 

It's my first cooking failure with the BGE... but it does not look like a total failure as a couple of them on cooler parts of the fire may be OK. 

I wonder if the temp gage on the egg is accurate. Maybe 400 is really 500 or higher? 

Oh well, we can always call in for a pizza! And the wings were only $5... it's not like I killed a $30 tri-tip... and have to face the wrath of my first, current, and very expensive wife!

+1 on the very expensive wife. Mine justifies all of her purchases with the fact that I bought an Egg.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • acegg77
    The chicken wings were a bit gummy, but the flavor was GREAT... even on the burned ones... which were black but not as burned on the inside (not that wings have much of an "inside.") 

Next time I will leave off the bbq sause. I don't think it added anything to the flavor and I think it just served to make them gummy. 

Or maybe it was because I wrapped them in foil for about 3 hours before we ate them? I wanted to keep them warm but perhaps the heat/moisture made them soft and gummy instead of crispy?

Would I have been better advised to have left them open to cool... and maybe re-head them when we were ready for them (not that they are bad a room temp... or even chilled.) Because it was so hot here today (in the 90s... and very dry) the egg was still at around 200 degrees 3 hours later! I guess I could have put them in there for 10 mins to warm them?

How do you cook chicken in advance and still have the skin somewhat crispy three hours later?

Thanks. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    BBQ sauce has a lot of sugar which will burn, I only put sauce on in the last 15 minutes of cooking if I put any on at all. I usually go indirect for about an hour at 325.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

@acegg77 I usually just leave them open to cool. Once cool enough, I put them in ziplocked bags and re-heat them in microwave when ready to eat. So far, it's been wonderful.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    acegg77 said:
    Do you start with skin down or skin up?

I'm surprised you have to turn them. I don't turn thighs or breasts and they turn out fine, raised direct. But I don't know anything about doing wings... and I appreciate all the help so far.
    Hey acegg77!
    I cook skin up (dusted with cornstarch for crunch) for the first 45-50 minutes of the cook. I cook them raised, direct at 300F for an hour and then toss in sauce after they are cooked.

Click here for more info/pictures.  :)

I've never cooked them ahead of time, so I can't offer much help on that.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2013
    acegg77 said:
    The chicken wings were a bit gummy, but the flavor was GREAT... even on the burned ones... which were black but not as burned on the inside (not that wings have much of an "inside.") 

Next time I will leave off the bbq sause. I don't think it added anything to the flavor and I think it just served to make them gummy. 

Or maybe it was because I wrapped them in foil for about 3 hours before we ate them? I wanted to keep them warm but perhaps the heat/moisture made them soft and gummy instead of crispy?  Probably

Would I have been better advised to have left them open to cool... and maybe re-head them when we were ready for them (not that they are bad a room temp... or even chilled.) Because it was so hot here today (in the 90s... and very dry) the egg was still at around 200 degrees 3 hours later! I guess I could have put them in there for 10 mins to warm them?

How do you cook chicken in advance and still have the skin somewhat crispy three hours later? In my experience, you can't. Best to eat them pretty soon after they're cooked.

Thanks. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I like to cook mine indirect ~350 with a little rub for 1.25 hrs. I pull 'em, then toss em in Franks/Butter/Honey and put them back on for caramelization. I then pull 'em, toss 'em in more Franks/Butter/Honey and serve. They are my favorite wings in the world. Redbull ain't got sh** on me.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • TTUEgghead
    TTUEgghead Posts: 23

I usually cook them indirect at 350 for 45 minutes.  I turn them every 15 minutes or so, try to let them marinate for a few hours before the cook and add a little extra sauce when I turn them.  Mine are usually not crispy, which is the way I prefer them. 

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• TTUEgghead
    TTUEgghead Posts: 23
    Here's a few pics of my first attempt, which was Super Bowl Sunday. I also cooked ABT's at the same time, cooked them raised which was suggested on this forum and worked very well. Both took about the same time and same temp.

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Raised indirect at 375. Coat in Dizzy Dust. Cook to 175-180 internal and toss in a bowl of Frank's Red Hot and melted margarine. Very simple but very effective. Hope to cook @necessaryindulgence's sticky wings soon. Still a noob.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life