Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

AAAAGGGGHHH First brisket ever!!

Cool JazzCool Jazz Posts: 9
Just pulled it off at 210 degrees. Am I screwed? Too over cooked? It is currently nestled in a blanket I blanket I purchased in Mexico. I fear I ruined my first brisket....

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,680
    Is it tender? Cut a piece and taste it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Well a Mexican blanket always makes you feel better.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Cool JazzCool Jazz Posts: 9
    It's definitely tender. When I took the temp the probe when thru like a hot knife in butter. My concern is that it will be too dry. I plan to cut it in another 1.5 hrs when company arrives. Oh, and yes, a mexican blanket makes everyone feel good. :)
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,408
    It won't be dry. Worst case, it will fall apart

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I can deal with fall apart....at least it will be edible. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. 
  • Over cooked is way better than undercooked. If it falls apart, you have chopped beef. Still awesome. You are good. Just let it cool until easily handled with your bare hands before slicing. That will firm it up a little. Do you know how to slice it? That is a s important as how you cook it.

I'm assuming against the grain. Any other tricks I should know about before slicing into this bad boy?
  • Was it a whole (packer) brisket or just the flat?

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,916

Ah, those brisket details-he may be land locked in the north where you don't even get a choice:)

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    Just the flat....
  • Cool Jazz said:

Just the flat....

then slice it across the grain and you'll be fine.

Just polished it off. It was a big hit. More shredded beef than sliced but fantastic flavor. Thanks for all your help.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,374
    edited May 2013
    All's well that end's well!  Any time the meat's too dry, just thin some barbeque sauce (bottled is fine) with a bit of water and heat, sauce as desired.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    Here is the finished product....
  • AltonAlton Posts: 443
    Great work! Brisket is always nerve wrecking
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,739
    Wiinner! Winner! Brisket Dinner!

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Cool Jazz said:
    Here is the finished product....

Nothing at all wrong with that, that's how I like mine.
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,341
    Where can I get a brisket blanket?? That looks great.

XLBGE 
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,080

Looks like it came out ok. If you overcook a brisket (and its threatening to fall apart), cut thicker slices. If you undercook one, cut thinner slices. Perfectly cooked brisket sliced should be about the thickness of a #2 pencil. I think I recall hearing one time about contests bbq contests requiring you to cut a certain thickness due to the fact that cutting thinner or thicker can help disguise under/over cooked brisket.

Now where did i put my Mexican blanket? I had no idea they could be used as a brisket blanket.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings