Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini, Mini Woo & Wok Made to Fry

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Lunch today will be fried shrimp & oysters. Never on the Larges!

imageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I heard a rumor at Salado that you would sell your Large BGE's cheap for anyone willing to mow your grass this summer.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    egger ave said:
    I heard a rumor at Salado that you would sell your Large BGE's cheap for anyone willing to mow your grass this summer.

You heard wrong. My wife thinks I am fat and that is the only exercise I get. After 44 years of marriage just not getting any easier.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Man's best friend and a collection of eggs (which might be considered by some to also be man's best friend) - doesn't get much better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I love fried oysters and shrimp. Too bad, I was looking for another large BGE.

You can join the low carb crew. It won't fix the 44 year part but at least you will be slim, trim and handsome (maybe). Have a great Sunday and have fun cooking the oysters and shrimp.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Save me some shrimp. If I leave now I can be there before 1. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I cooked shrimp at the Salado Eggfest.  Mickey was blown away.  He said "I thought shrimp grew in a 4 ounce can " !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Sweet set up. Can't wait to see some finished results.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    edited May 2013
    I cooked shrimp at the Salado Eggfest.  Mickey was blown away.  He said "I thought shrimp grew in a 4 ounce can " !!!!

g Hell Gary everyone knows cans is where oysters come from in the middle of Texas. image

• Mickey
    edited May 2013

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Orange thermapens are definitely the fastest!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Be sure and let it come back to temp before doing next batch. imageimage

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    When using peanut oil, you can cool it, drain thru muslin cloth and keep in frig as it does not hold a flavor and can be used again just add some fresh oil.
  • Mickey
    Thanks Richard, but do a deep fry so seldom ( 2 or 3 times a year) I toss it.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Wow, Mickey, both the oysters and the shrimp make my mouth water. I have the exact same set as you including the mini wok from Ms. Chan. How many oysters can you cook at a time?

Also, was that a fish fry package or did you use your own cornmeal/four mix?

Thanks,

Springram
    Spring,Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    edited May 2013
    @Springram this and added some cake flour and spice to it. We like it lighter on batter. Cooked 6 oysters at a time ( could have done up to 8 ). Same with shrimp. Used the whole bottle of peanut oil. Be sure and let it get back up to temp before doing next load AND fill the Mini with lump. image

• Mickey
    This is a cook that is for eating as it comes off. The best shrimp and oysters ever.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Thanks so much, Mickey.

Springam
    LBGE and Mini
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Wow Mickey! I've had a wok for a year and still haven't seasoned or used it! This will and should happen soon!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looks good - but why can't I try on my large eggs wok?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks terrific! I am craving seafood bad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    May have to get a Mini just to fry shrimp. Looks great.
    T
    NDG said:
    Looks good - but why can't I try on my large eggs wok?

Just not safe. Watched a guy fry chicken a few years ago at Austin Fest and almost tipped over from the wind catching the tent. I feel with the Mini I am in control, not so with the large.

• Mickey
    Tjcoley said:
    May have to get a Mini just to fry shrimp. Looks great.

Very good food and very slow. Linda and I eat as it comes off (slow meal) as you must wait for it to get back to 380 after each cook. But nice to have time to talk.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Where was my invite? That does it! Now I'm going to fertilize your grass. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    =))

• Mickey

Hey @Mickey What size Wok is that?

10" from Ms Chan at The Wok Shop in SF

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Man those oysters look good. 

=D>

I've never had them, and now in my adulthood, I seem to have developed an allergy to clams, and don't want to take a chance trying it with those little beauties.  
    X(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!