Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse-Sear Cooking & Seasoning

Options

Before I got my Egg, I'd always season my steaks prior to grilling and they turned out flavorful.

On the past few reverse-sear cooks I'd season my steaks as I normally would but the flavor just didn't come through.  Don't get me wrong, the steaks were great, cooked better than I'd ever been able to do before and my wife even said the ones I did last night were the best she'd ever had!

Is something happening to the salt/pepper during the initial roast to lessen the impact?  Do I need to re-season prior to the sear?  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can, but I prefer to salt an hour or so before cooking. Burying them in salt for an hour or two works as well. Pepper will burn on the sear

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGerAllanPoe
    Options
    I'm not sure what caused that. I might have a fix though. I'm by no means a chef but I read an article one time that said to pour kosher salt heavily on both sides of the steak and let it sit for 30-40 minutes on the counter. The article went in depth on what it does to the steak and how it happens but I skipped over that part. I did try this method and my steak was very moist and full of salt flavor. Maybe this could be an answer. The salt would absorb into the steak and stay their through the cook maybe? Again I'm no expert. I'll look for the article I read and post it.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR