Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any advantage to plate setter over baking stones?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I suspect like a lot if BGE owners, I originally got a plate setter when I got the BGE. Now I'm considering getting an adjustable rig, and from posts I've seen it seems that most adjustable rig owners use the baking stone instead of the plate setter. The plate setter appears a lot heavier than a stone, and I'm wondering if there is any appreciable difference doing an indirect cook with one compared to the other?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I use both. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @travisstrick - what determines which you use for a particular cook?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have a platesetter, but i also understand that there are other ways to deflect the direct heat from the lump below.  Maybe it is a stone, or maybe even a plate steel??  All we have to do is adjust the cooking temperatures to turn out good food....  It's just whatever we get used to cooking on!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    the rig does not fit with the platesetter. So if you are using your rig, you use the stones. I haven't used my platestter since I got my rig but Janell has to do some bread stuff.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    Options
    The ps covers more area but the stone can be raised and lowered. Brisket is ps, ribs get the stone.

For naan I use both. Ps legs up with an adj rig on top. The stone goes on the top part of the adj rig.

If you use a stone, I highly recommend a lump reducing ring the same size or smaller than your stone. It make the indirect more indirect.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The ps covers more area but the stone can be raised and lowered. Brisket is ps, ribs get the stone. For naan I use both. Ps legs up with an adj rig on top. The stone goes on the top part of the adj rig. If you use a stone, I highly recommend a lump reducing ring the same size or smaller than your stone. It make the indirect more indirect.

hadn't thought of that setup. Guess they do work together. I use my rig with oval stone for brisket and ribs. platesetter is lonely
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Wait.... Are you lg or xl? It matters.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    We all know Travis is XL... :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I have tried with the large and the A/R  will not fit with the platesetter installed, it hits the dome.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I hate the plate setter, have always hated it. It has not seen the light of day in the past 5 years. Have two Larges and full Adj Rigs for both. No reason to ever use the damn thing. Last weekend I got stupid and thought with 3 large turkey breasts it may be better than the stone so in it went. Then one of the reasons I hate it bit me in the a$$. Got Egg to hot and took forever to get it down in temp. Ended up putting them in the other Egg after pulling the 2 hams as it just would not come down. Wrong wood but it turned out ok. My PlateSetter is free to anyone wanting it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @Mickey, with these anger issues I can only guess that the therapy sessions are not going that well....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• travisstrick
    Options
    Mickey said:

I hate the plate setter, have always hated it. It has not seen the light of day in the past 5 years. Have two Larges and full Adj Rigs for both. No reason to ever use the damn thing. Last weekend I got stupid and thought with 3 large turkey breasts it may be better than the stone so in it went. Then one of the reasons I hate it bit me in the a$$. Got Egg to hot and took forever to get it down in temp. Ended up putting them in the other Egg after pulling the 2 hams as it just would not come down.
    Wrong wood but it turned out ok. My PlateSetter is free to anyone wanting it.

I'll take it. I'll put it on top of my xl ps to bake bread.