Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weird butt cook

Options
onedbguru
onedbguru Posts: 1,647
Apprx 9.5 lbs.   a modified version of some internet rub recipe that we have been using for a while.

XL
full firebox w/applewood chips
platesetter legs up
grate 
Stabilized at 250 degrees (dome - not sure of grate temp)
butt went on at 18:30 Friday
checked temps a couple of times over night - constant 250 dome
as of Sat 12:30pm (18 hrs later) internal temp still at 145 (since 07:30AM.   I know there is a plateau, but 5.5hrs???) 
at  13:00 removed platesetter and pushed charcoal to the back of the firebox and put the butt on the front of the grate jacked the dome to 325 or so.. and pulled it a 195 at 16:30.  (22hrs) 

Was still very moist and omGoodness!!! great flavor and melt-in-your-mouth tender.  I am chalking this up to a disintegrating seal. (original 3.5yrs old). I did notice some smoke escaping around that seal on one side.  I also seem to have better luck NOT using the PS.  I still consider it a successful cook as it was DELICIOUS!!!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

All's well that ends well. You came up with a good save.  I would have simply opened the vents to get the temp up with the platesetter in place.

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on this.  I guess nobody has anything to add over and above what you already surmised.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I would guess temp too low. 250 dome = ~220 grid. Definitely not an expert, but I find 250 grid (approx 275 dome) works well and will cut down on time.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    IMO, butts are the most fool-proof, cheapest and easiest way to get some "wows" from the crowd.  For $2 a lb, you can feed the masses!
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Check your dome thermo. If it's off by 10 - 15* you would be trying to cook to 200* at 200*

Steve 

Caledon, ON