Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks are ON!

Options

Had to run by Wally-World today to pick up some Royal Oak as the nearest source for WG is a 100 mile round trip away :(  Picked up some boneless rib eyes, thick cut!

Rubbed with garlic, dusted with s/p.  Taking to 130 IT, foil while the heat cranks up then seared off.  Pairing with wild rice, Blue Moon, a Rocky Patel Decade and playoff Basketball :D

Comments

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    Off the grill and resting :)
  • chris123stock
    Options
    those look awsome, butter? I have never put butter on my steaks,  prob. from the potato, but not just on them, interesting concept.  they look amazing.  awsome job.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Butter - good for the heart.
  • EGGerAllanPoe
    Options

Had to run by Wally-World today to pick up some Royal Oak as the nearest source for WG is a 100 mile round trip away :(  Picked up some boneless rib eyes, thick cut!

Rubbed with garlic, dusted with s/p.  Taking to 130 IT, foil while the heat cranks up then seared off.  Pairing with wild rice, Blue Moon, a Rocky Patel Decade and playoff Basketball :D

What's your dome temp while your cooking up to 130 IT? I always sear my steaks first and they never come out the way I want them. Looking to try a reverse sear soon.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Nice cook!  Love the Rocky Patel Decade.  Got a couple in my humidor right now...might have to bust one out...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

those look awsome, butter? I have never put butter on my steaks,  prob. from the potato, but not just on them, interesting concept.  they look amazing.  awsome job.

Chris, I always let my steaks rest with butter. I slice butter, then hit it hard with garlic powder. If I'm going to add fat to my steak, this is the way I go.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • chris123stock
    Options
    @cazzy thanks, I have never seen this, but hey it looked good. will have to try.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
    edited May 2013
    Options

What's your dome temp while your cooking up to 130 IT? I always sear my steaks first and they never come out the way I want them. Looking to try a reverse sear soon.

Thanks for all the comments, steaks came out fantastic; excellent temp/color all the way through!  Don't know if it's the recommended method or not, but I started at 300 for the IT cook and finished at 650 for the sear.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nicely done.  Final cut looks awesome!
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Last few times I have roasted then foiled while heat raises. Add CI skillet to heat and butter. Drop in steaks. Reverse sear in butter
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chris123stock
    Options
    what's up with all the butter and steak?  I guess I'm missing out. steaks looks amazing,  awsome cook.
    =D>
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    what's up with all the butter and steak?  I guess I'm missing out. steaks looks amazing,  awsome cook.
    =D>
    I think it's a midwest thing.  People/restaurants put butter on everything here.  Steaks, hamburgers, steak sandwich, etc.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    Look GREAT the only thing I think could make em better is some Blue Cheese on em

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    130? We must use different thermometers. For this kind of cook, I would go to 105, remove the meat, fire up the grill, and then get internal to 130, then rest. Looks medium rare like yours.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

=D>

Butter adds unctuousness to the steak and helps round out flavor. Many times it is compounded with aromatics like herbs and alliums(garlic, shallots, onion). Many herbs and spices are fat - soluble so they "bloom" as the butter melts from the residual heat from the meat. This creates a flavorful "pan sauce" from the meat juices, butter and pepper, salt and whatever you added. This can also be done with olive oil.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    When I add butter to a steak I usually make mine a compound type of butter by adding herbs or garlic and putting on top!   

Amazing!
    Large BGE

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    130? We must use different thermometers. For this kind of cook, I would go to 105, remove the meat, fire up the grill, and then get internal to 130, then rest. Looks medium rare like yours.
    Thanks again y'all and I seared for 60 seconds on each side after roasting to 130, so the IT wasn't affected much.  Could be my temp gauge is off though, may have to check that today!